Beyond the Barrier

Yuri looked though the bag in dismay. Estelle was walking beside him, somewhat watching him, but I slightly distanced myself from them by walking behind them. Repede was somewhere beside me as well. The four of us all walked down on this unknown path. 

"A map, equipment, and even more money", Estelle said, "Your friends are so generous, Yuri !" Yuri sighed. "They can't afford this", he said in disbelief, "They can barely get by as it is." "Well I'm sure they're worried about you and want you to have a safe journey", she replied. "It's more likely they're just glad to be rid of a trouble-making kid", Yuri said accusingly. I held back my laughter. Yuri looked over his shoulder and narrowed his eyes. I smiled at him as he looked back. "That's not true !", Estelle interjected. Yuri smiled sympathetically at the bag. "Guess I can't come back empty-handed, now that they've given us all this stuff", he mumbled, "Now I gotta bring back the Aque Blastia. No matter what." I grinned. Yuri was such a troublesome guy, yet he held such a thoughtful heart. The two continued to talk until we came across an unexpected silence. I tilted my head.

Estelle had began mumbling something as Yuri and Repede eyed her cautiously. I think she was... mumbling her name ? Yuri waited for me to catch up. "She's been mumbling to herself for quite some time now", he said. Repede was trotting by her side this time. "Estelle", I called out, "Estelle !" By the second time, she looked up and turned around. "Ah yes ?", she questioned. I chuckled. "If you don't watch where you're going, you're going to run into a monster", I warned. She sheepishly smiled at me and tilted her head. "Oh right", she called out. Yuri looked a bit confused. "Don't they have nicknames at the castle Shinji ?", he asked. I shrugged, "She's probably not used to being called "Estelle" by you yet." Yuri grinned mischievously. "Probably", he mumbled. I playfully pushed him forward and laughed. He looked over his shoulder and frowned. "What was that for !?", Yuri snapped. I innocently smiled at him as a breeze blew by the four of us. "Nothing", I replied optimistically, "Nothing at all." He narrowed his gaze. "Riiiiiiight."

~~~~~

"Say Shinju, how long do you think it'll take until we reach Deidon Hold ?"

I looked over my shoulder to see Estelle struggling to catch up, so I paused and waited for her. Yuri and Repede were already ahead of us. "It shouldn't be long now", I replied, looking along the map that Yuri had given me to look at, "If I'm correct.. we should be getting close.." I stopped talking when I noticed Yuri standing there. Estelle did the same. "We've come a long way from the capital", was the first thing he said to us. Estelle nodded her head as I gently refolded the map. "Yes", Estelle replied, "I wonder if we're safe now." "Referring to those knights ?", I asked quietly. Only Repede seemed to hear my question. He was looking up at me with those adorable looking eyes of his. I couldn't help but pet him. "Hard to say", I heard Yuri say, "Those guys are a sticky lot." Repede suddenly barked which caused the three of us to look up. Up ahead, a traveling cart and two people. 

"Greetings !", the lady called out enthusiastically. "Hello", Estelle replied, giving her a formal bow. The lady smiled back and returned a formal bow to Estelle. "Welcome good travelers !" Estelle eyed the moving cart out of curiosity. "Is this a.. shop ?", she asked. "...Its the King of Adventure Travelers' Lodge...", the lady's companion replied. Judging by the way he spoke, he and she were complete opposites.  And I was right when she said, "Oh big brother, do try to be a bit more friendly !", to him. He turned to her, that indifferent look still on his face. "..Sorry Karen..", he mumbled. So Karen, was her name. After speaking to him, she turned back to us. "Please, you'll have to excuse him", she said politely, "My name is Karen, and this is Rich." "You're operating a traveling inn ?", Estelle asked. "Doesn't the "King of Adventure" refer to something else...", Yuri asked, turning to Karen and Rich, "Something more well-known ?" "The late emperors brother, His Highness Reign, was known by that name thanks to his insatiable thirst for adventure." I turned to Estelle. I was surprised that she had said that for an explanation. Perhaps that was just enough background information for Yuri. "Indeed !", Karen replied happily, "We took our name from His Highness Reign. It's true." "...We respect him...", Rich added. "Hmm", Yuri muttered, looking somewhat interested, "That's a pretty nice name then." I was going to ask them about what we should know about Deidon Hold, but Karen was quick enough to ask about another topic. I'm sure that we were all surprised. Thank goodness she was referring to Yuri and Estelle though.

"So are the two of you married ?", she had asked. I turned my attention towards Yuri, and then to Estelle. Yuri was speechless. He was looking at her as if he had just misheard what she had asked. Estelle on the other hand, was looking at her wide eyed. She seemed to blush a little. "M..married ?", Estelle stuttered, "I...I.." You could tell that she wasn't aware of how to respond. Yuri's response was what almost got me to laugh. But I had to be polite. It was rude to do so. "Do we look like we're married ?", he asked bluntly. I turned away and covered my mouth with my hand. "Besides", he added, "This girl is here too." I looked over my shoulder to see him pointing in my direction. I took a deep breath and faced them with a smile. "Oh?", Karen said, as if she were correcting herself, "It seems that I was mistaken. So very sorry !" I noticed Estelle walk over to me very slowly. She reached for my arm and wrapped her hands around it. I smiled at her. "Oh, you'll be fine Estelle", I said, somewhat chuckling, "You're much, much stronger than that." She looked up at me and sheepishly grinned. "If you're tired..." I looked back at Karen. "Perhaps you'd like to stay the night ?" "Wh- what should we do ?", I was asked. I looked at Yuri, who seemed to be waiting for us for something. 

"Well it is getting a bit late", I said to him. Yuri nodded and turned to Karen. "Sure we'll sleep here", he said to her. "Excellent !", she replied optimistically, "Thank you very much !" Rich, who hadn't said anything in a while said, "...enjoy your shut-eye..." Karen turned to him and sighed. "Oh big brother ! Please !", she cried, "I'm sorry ! I'm sorry !" "N-no, no", Estelle muttered, "It's quite alright...."

I smiled to myself and looked at Yuri. "Well ?", I asked. He grinned. "Gotcha."

~~~~~

Sometime that night, Karen and Rich moved us into an area suitable for camp. Estelle was already asleep and Karen and Rich were nearby, talking about something. I stood around the campfire, trying to read the map. So after Deidon Hold, I thought, Where is...? I was taken away by my thoughts when I heard footsteps behind me. I peered over my shoulder to see Yuri. "Hey", he said, standing beside me. He eyed the map. "So have you found out which way to go ?", he asked. I nodded and looked North. "If we continue in this direction", I replied, pointing in that direction, "We should hit Deidon Hold soon." Yuri sighed.

"I know that it's a late question", he said, looking down at the flame, "But who exactly are you Shinji ?" I tilted my head and grinned at him. "You'll know", I replied optimistically. "Eventually."