Chapter Eleven

Christina woke up next morning and stretched lazily in the bed. Dan was gone, as usual. He must be walking around, keeping an eye on things, Christina thought. By now, she knew his habits.

Climbing out of bed, she went downstairs to take a shower. Then she walked upstairs to dress. I need to do some laundry, she realized, thinking how lucky she was that the little cabin had a small laundry room in the back with a washer and dryer. She didn't like the idea of leaving the cabin right now, but laughed, trying to dispel her doubts. You can't hide in here forever, she told herself though she wished she could leave the whole world behind and stay up here with Dan. She knew that the moment they arrived back in Atlanta, their whole life would change, and there was a big chance that she might never see him again.

Christina walked downstairs and made some breakfast. Dan must have already had his—he was an early riser. So was Christina, most of the time. But lately she felt pretty tired and was dragging herself around. She sat there eating, thinking about everything. Even though she had just woken up, she was still tired. It must be psychological, she decided. There's absolutely nothing physically wrong with me. Even the pain from my broken ribs doesn't bother me that much anymore. It's just all these emotions and stress that is putting me down. I have to snap out of it, she told herself. I have to regain control of my life.

Then she thought about the upcoming trial. What if I have to testify? she wondered. Then what? She drew a deep breath and realized that she would have to deal with that when the time came. After all, she thought, I'm used to hiding my real identity; nothing new there. She didn't have any relatives or friends, besides Johnny. And now, she wasn't sure about him, either. Her job? She didn't care much about it. It might not be bad making a fresh start. Christina tried to cheer herself up. But what about Dan? I would never be able to see him again...

She let out a deep breath, filled up her cup with some more coffee, and walked out on the front porch. Glancing around, she realized that Dan's car was gone. Apprehension washed over her, and she warily scanned the surroundings. Don't be ridiculous, she cautioned herself. He has probably driven up the road to check on things there. He would have told me if something was up.

Stepping back inside, she sank on the sofa, making sure that all curtains were closed—being cautious had become a habit. After a while, she felt uneasy sitting there, not having anything to do and started pacing back and forth. Where on earth is he, and why did he take the dog with him?

Having to wait, without knowing what was going on, was driving her crazy. She approached the small desk by the window and scanned through the drawers. Finding a pad and a pencil, she went back to the sofa. Sitting back comfortably, she tried to do some work. It would keep my mind off of things.

After a while, she gave up. The only thing she was able to draw was the crest on her locket—the Rosetti crest. Christina tore the paper apart and threw it in the trashcan. Then she stepped back outside. She couldn't stand being all cooped up in the cabin anymore. Where on earth is Dan?

The sound of a car approaching made Christina rush down the steps. Thank God! He's back! However, as soon as a black Chevy truck with tinted windows came around the corner, Christina smile froze on her face... Who the hell is that? Her heartbeat accelerated as she fought back the urge to run back inside the cabin. Don't be foolish. It's probably nothing—a neighbor or someone who got lost on these mountain roads.

The truck stopped, and Christina felt her heart pounding. The doors opened, and two guys jumped out and rushed toward her. A scream escaped her lips, and she fled toward the woods.

"Christina!" The familiar voice made her stop.

"What on earth?" she asked shocked and turned to face... Johnny.