Gunshots

The graduation ceremony was great. My mom, my dad, Ryder, and Zoë came. I introduced them to Dan and everyone got along well. I would be going to University in England, so I stayed with my aunt for the summer.

It was the start of the summer, Dan was at my house hanging out. My aunt and Nyla were doing errands, and my uncle was at a meeting.

I heard a car pull up and peeked through the blinds to see which adult came back. It was neither. A black van was parked in our driveway, and a man got out of it. Armed with a handgun.

"Um, Dan? How about we go upstairs?" I grabbed his hand and ran up to my room and shut the door quietly. The front door bell rang. He stood up to go answer it but I stopped him and mouthed, "No."

We heard the door bust down and footsteps walking throughout the house. I pressed a finger to Dan's lips and got out my phone to call the police.

The intruder seemed to still be searching below us, so I had time to explain the situation on the phone. Only in a small whisper. After a few seconds he started walking up the stairs. Oh, no. He's coming...

I found Dan's hand, grabbing it for dear life. My eyes never left my bedroom door. The man burst through it aiming his gun at me. My bottom lip quivered.

"Give me your damn money!"

"W-we don't have any m-money." I said, voice trembling.

"Don't lie to me!" He shouted, pulling the trigger. His bullet found its way to my calf.

"(Y/N)!" Dan yelled.

"Shut up, boy!" He shot the gun again, this time hitting Dan.

Sirens started wailing outside, when two police officers came into my room and arrested the man.

We were rushed to the hospital immediately. I was alright, they just put bandages to stop the bleeding.

"Where's Dan?! Where's my boyfriend?!" I asked the nurse.

She walked me to his room and I rushed to the bed.

"He's going to be alright, Miss (Y/N). The bullet didn't hit any major organs." The doctor told me. Dan was asleep.

I caressed his face as tears fell down my cheeks, onto his chest. "Daniel..."

His parents walked in as I kissed his forehead.

"I'm so sorry." I said to them, crying.

"Oh, sweetie. Don't worry. You didn't cause this to happen." Mrs. Howell replied and gave me a hug.

The doctor told us to come back tomorrow. After tons of persuading I finally left.

The next day, the first thing I did was get ready to visit him.

When I opened the door he was sitting on the bed, tapping the table beside it.

"Knock, knock. Hey there, Hobbit."

He turned around at the sound of my voice and smiled at his nickname. Even when his hair was straightened I still called him that.

"Hey, (Y/N)." I sat next to him and held his hand.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's all my fault. If only we were at your house. Or if I had-"

He cut me off by giving me a short, sweet kiss.

"This isn't your fault. So stop beating yourself up over it. I'm going to be fine and that's all that matters."

"I love you, Daniel."

"I love you, too, (Y/N)."

It was about a month until they let him out of the hospital. I was so grateful to have him back. Most times Phil would come with me to visit him. Chloe was working as a summer camp counselor so she didn't know about the incident.

We were at Dan's house in his room. His head was on my lap. He took the charm of my necklace in between his thumb and index finger.

"And that's the story of my hamster."

I laughed. "Who knows, maybe Suki lived a full and happy life."

A/N: If you haven't heard Dan talk about it, just go and watch it.

He just stared up at me and smiled.

"What is it?" I asked tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'm just thinking about how glad I am that you're okay."

"Me? I was broken while you were at the hospital. But that's behind us now."

He nodded and stood up. Holding his hand out.

"Come on. We're supposed to meet Phil in a few minutes."

I held it and we left.