Roses and Tears: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

    My feet hurt so badly and I was cold but I didn’t want to say anything.  We had all been walking since sunrise this morning.  We had walked so far.  The white men woke us up at sun rise.  We all gathered the few belongings we had with us.  Some were able to have gotten their horses from the coral before being arrested or forced out of their homes with the rest of us.  I was lucky that my father had decided that my horse, Lino, had needed a good ride that day.  My family had packed our few belongings and strapped them her back and we all set off. 

    The white men walked along side us, in front of us, and behind us, all the while telling us to hurry along and to keep moving.  They were all on horse back so it was easy for them to keep going.  By mid morning many of the elder tribe members were tired.  They tried to keep up but had started to lag behind the younger, stronger members.  The few families with horses untied their belongings and strapped them to their own backs to make room for the elders to ride on the horses. 

    Tiva and I had been walking together in silence all morning.  She hadn’t said a word to me or to anyone else for that matter.  Every once in a while I would look over at her and see a tear fall down her cheek only to have her quickly wipe it away.  I felt so bad for my friend.  Being forced to leave our homes and move to someplace unknown was scary enough but at least I had my parents to give me support and calm my fears.  Tiva was alone now.  Who would take away her fears if she had no mother to whisper soothing words or softly braid her hair? 

    “Tiva,” I said.  My voice was quiet and a little scratchy from having not been used yet today.  “Tiva please talk to me.  Say anything.”  I grabbed hold of her small, cold hand.  I knew that my hands weren’t any warmer but it was a small gesture of comfort to let her know that I was here for her.  Tiva turned her head and looked at me.  A single tear slipped out of the corner of her eye.

    “I don’t know what to say Nina.  I miss them and I’m angry at the men who took them from me.  I don’t want to say anything for fear that I will say something hurtful to another out of my own anger and pain.  But how do I move on from this Nina?  They are both buried miles from here and I may never get to see that place again.  How do I let that go and move on from this to be able to make a new life in this reservation?  Where will I even go when we reach the reservation.  I have nobody to take me in.”  She let out a large breath and her hands that were gesturing wildly a second ago now lay at rest by her sides. 

    What do I say to that.  How do I comfort my friend?  How do you tell someone that even if they don’t want to let go of the death of their parents that it would be better if they do because like she said, we would most likely never go back to the land of our ancestors.  I contemplate just what to tell my friend as I looked around me.  The woods were alive with color though the ground was cold and dark.  We were walking down a narrow path.  Up ahead I could make out the shape of something.  It was a large wall of logs.  The ends were carved to a point at the top of the large wall.  The structure was dark and daunting as we grew closer.  The large wooden door on the face of the building opened as we neared it.  I didn’t know what this place was.  The white men watched us warily, their guns in their hands as we were herded like cattle into this closed of area.  It was small and the floor was only mud.  There was no clean place to sit.  My family, myself, and Tiva walked to the back of the crowd towards one of the farthest walls. 

    “Father.  Where are we.” I asked.

    “We are in a stockade.” He said.  His voice was thick with anger.  I could tell he did not like the thought of being locked in here for what could be a very long time.  I couldn’t see over the large walls and I had to say that I wasn’t too keen on being locked in a small space for any amount of time either.  I liked to be free.  I liked to feel the wind on my face and grass under my feet.  I looked to the sky which had been gray all morning.  There was no sun to cast a light on our dark situation.  Even my friend the eagle was not flying over head.  I was pulled out of my reverie when my mother tapped me on the shoulder.  I looked up and saw Dyami making his way through the large crowd of people.

    I got up and walked over to meet him half way.  I looked up into his face and noticed how angry he looked.  He looked almost as mad as father.  “Dyami, do you know whats going on?  Why are we here?” I asked. 

    “I don’t know.  I need your father.  Some of the men are having a meeting in the middle of the enclosure.”  His voice was calculated and tense as if he was trying not to show his anger.

    “Hang on.  I’ll get him for you.”  I ran over to where my father was standing.  “Father.  Dyami needs you.  He says that some of the men are having a meeting.”  My father nodded and walked off with a huff.  I turned to Tiva and sat down next to her.  “How are you feeling?”  I asked.  She just sighed and rested her head on my shoulder.  I put my arm around her.  “You know you always have me right?”  I felt her nod her head on my shoulder. 

    We sat like that for a while.  We were completely silent as we watched the gathering of men in the middle of the enclosure gesturing wildly.  Dyami and my father were the only two men who were still somewhat calm enough to think rationally.  Just them the large door opened, scraping against the ground, the stones crunching under the weight of the large door.  A young man appeared in the door way.  He looked to be no older than twenty.  His blonde hair stuck out slightly from under the hat that matched the rest of his uniform.  You could tell by the way he held himself that he was strong.  The presence of a white man caused everyone to halt what they were doing and become quiet.

    “One woman from each family may step outside the confines and gather food for the night.”  His voice was loud and low.  He demanded attention.  When nobody started to move he shifted slightly.  You could tell he was becoming agitated.  I quickly stood up.  My mother grasped my wrist, not wanting me to leave, but I knew that if I didn’t move first nobody would. 

    I slowly picked up my large buckskin bag and placed it around my neck.  I slowly moved towards the door, weaving my way through my unmoving tribe members.  When I reached the gate I looked over my shoulder.  Still, nobody else had moved.  I gave a short call and some girls my age started to move.  I looked up into the face of the white man and scowled.  His blue eyes looked into my dark ones questioningly.  I looked away and started off back into the woods without a glance back. 

    Once far enough away from the white men I started to look around for any plants that I could gather food from.  I found some berries and a few different types of roots.  It wouldn’t be much but with a little water mother and I could make some sort of soup that was filling enough to give us strength if they moved us again tomorrow.  I looked around me and spotted a few more girls my age but no white men.  I sighed in relief and a small smile came to my face.  I quickly tied my bag closed and pushed it into place on my back.  Then I took off.

    I ran through the woods swiftly and freely.  It felt good to stretch my legs and just run as fast as I could.  All too quickly I came to the edge of the woods.  Standing there was the same strange white man with the yellow hair.  He looked at me quizically as he took in my labored breathing and my braid which had come undone so that my dark hair was flowing around my face.  I looked into his eyes but quickly regretted my actions and looked down at my feet.  I walked quickly back towards the opening in the wall which was being guarded by a few men with guns.  I made my way over to my mother and Tiva.  I took out the few small logs I had managed to find as well as the roots.  My mother quickly made a small fire as I put the ingredients for a soup into the only small clay pot that had not been broken.  As I sat there and stirred the soup my mind wandered. 

‘Who was this strange yet beautiful man?’