Chapter 23

A/N: Comments are appreciated!

-------------Chapter 23--------------

"Éponine?" Enjolras had turned around, noticing her right away. How could her clothes get anymore ragged? The chemise that covered her body was now as less as an undergarment with rips and wholes revealing her cuts and bruises. It has been the longest time since he had seen her last. Éponine looked weaker, less happy and thinner. "Éponine, haven't seen you much about."

She walked closer to him, helping Enjolras examine her more. She said to him, "Always catch me here." Here was the streets of course, the crowded, wretched, cold streets. Éponine gave him a helpless smile, trying to give him a silent message with just a look.

"Listen, I must apologize for what I had said last to you. It was none of my business." It would be a lie if Enjolras said he wasn't always thinking about how guilty he felt about being rude to her which caused her to run off. Not only did that hurt her, it hurt Marius for afterwards, she was found and taken back to suffer.

"You must not apologize. It is a time that has passed." She paused to think of Marius. "These words are better unheard, better forgotten."

Must have been quite embarrassing for him to be seen with an urchin such as Éponine. "Why have you not come back?"

"If my parents find I'm with a student, they'll have my head."

"Madmoiselle, you are with me at this very moment. I am a student, and so is Marius."

"You are right. I'm sorry Enjolras I must go." Éponine's shoulders dropped, along with her hope.

"No Éponine. I must make up for what I have done." Enjolras grabbed Éponine's arm gently, feeling the grittiness of filth smeared onto her skin.

Éponine inhaled, smiling at him. "You are very kind Monsieur Enjolras."

As if ignoring her compliment, he said "I will take you to Marius."

Sparks of fire lit up her heart, finally. The forbidden love she had for him alas, about to be healed. Thoughts of Marius exploded into her mind. Had Marius' appearance differed? Was he going to be happy once they meet? Did he love her the way she loved him? Will she look beautiful for him or just beautiful in her own imagination? It was too good to be true, it was all a dream, it has to be.

"Are you teasing me? Please do not, I do not want to be excited for nothing. Please tell me you are teasing, Enjolras."

"Éponine if it is in my powers, I will do what you desire. And you desire Marius, correct?" Enjolras paused as she nodded eagerly. "Then to Marius we must go. We cannot waste time, we must go now."

"My brother, Gavroche, he will be looking for me." Although Marius seemed like only steps away, Gavroche had to be looked over at times. He was basically a student, dreaming to be actually.

"Perhaps he had already gone to the university." Enjolras began to walk, letting Éponine trail behind him. "That is where Marius is."

The rubble and rocks ached Éponine's feet as she struggled to follow him. She did resemble a beggar, begging for spare sous from Enjolras. She picked up her skirt and crumpled the fabric into her grip. There was no one she had to impress, she had nothing to hide from Enjolras or even Marius. Nervousness boiled in Éponine's blood, causing her to feel warm as she and Enjolras got closer to the university. It was larger than she had thought, seemed to be right in the middle of Paris with tidy walls and towers that reached the sky. She would not be excepted inside such a prestigious and expensive building. She imagined getting passed guards was impossible.