Rigor Leonardo Miramontes

There are people who hold onto grudges just so they'll have a reason to get up in the morning. I was one of those people. This anger within me kept me alive while I was struggling to survive. It gave me strength I didn't even know I was capable of having. Hatred was what fed and fueled me.

Tahimik kong pinanood si Patricio Castellano habang naglalakad palabas sa isang mataas na gusali. Nakakawit sa braso niya ang kanyang dalagang anak na si Lux Castellano. Humigpit ang hawak ko sa sigarilyong nasa kamay ko ng makita kong masayang tumatawa ang mag-ama. It was as if taunting me of the life I was robbed of.

Matagal na akong naghihintay nang tamang panahon, nang tamang pagkakataon para mabawi ang lahat ng dapat ay sa akin. Ilang taon akong nagmasid, ilang taon ko silang pinag-aralan. I had been watching them like a patient lion stalking its prey, waiting for the right time to devour them. When the right time comes, I would crush them, strip them off everything and leave nothing but bones behind.

They were heading towards where I was standing. I brought the cigarette and drew in a breath. Then I dropped it to the ground and stepped on it as I exhaled. They were walking closer and closer. It felt almost as if everything was in slow motion now. Hindi ako tumingin sa kanila. I acted as if I wasn't aware of their presence while I casually leaned against my car. They had no clue I knew who they were. Every move was being watched. They were locked in their own minds but I knew everything about them.

They passed by in front of me. I inhaled and caught a whiff of Lux's mild flowery scent. Something inside my head erupted, it felt like fireworks going off. I smiled to myself. The sweet scent of revenge.

I could feel the gun pressed against my hips begging to be let out. Begging to be pointed at Patricio Castellano's head. I pictured it in my head. Me holding the gun. Patricio begging for his life. Me pulling the trigger. My fingers twitched at my sides as the overwhelming urge took over me.

No, death would be too easy for him. Too good for him. He had to hurt. I would keep him alive and make him suffer. I'd let him live everyday in fear and pain, the same kind he put me through.

A black van stopped in front of them. Before they could have time to make out of what was happening, two masked men jumped out of it. Hinawakan nila sa magkabilang braso si Lux, nanlaban ang babae. Patricio tried to save his daughter but another man came out and punched him square in the face and he dropped to the ground.

"Daddy!" Lux cried. "Help! Somebody help-" One man covered his mouth as they forcefully dragged her into the van.

Her scream tugged at something inside me. I took out the gun from my side and aimed at one of the masked men. I missed. Bumitaw ang dalawang lalaki sa pagkakahawak dahil sa gulat. It gave Lux enough time to run to her father. I fired another shot. Inalalayan ni Lux ang ama niya para tumayo.

One of the men took out a gun and fired back.

"Get in the car!" I yelled. Nagmamadaling tumakbo ang mag-ama papasok sa kotse ko. I ran towards them and shielded them with my body. They got in safely, just in time before the men fired another shot. I fired back at them as I opened the door to my car. They answered back with another shot. This time, I wasn't so lucky. I slid inside as I felt the burning, searing pain in my left shoulder.

I started the engine. My whole body shook in pain and broke into cold sweat. I could feel the warm, thick blood running down my arm. I turned the stirring wheel and stepped on the gas pedal until it was floored.

I forced myself to keep driving as I tried to catch my breath. I felt like I was running out of oxygen. My body getting weaker by the second as blood gushed out of my shoulder. Nang maramdaman kong hindi ko na kaya ay hininto ko ang kotse sa gilid ng kalsada. I looked through the rear mirror and saw Lux's pale and frightened face.

I took a bullet for the bastard's daughter.

I smiled at the irony of it and my vision went black.