Family or love?

Ripcurrent stared. Seastar, the one who talked to him the most. The one who occasionally stopped to talk to him when none of his other siblings did. She had betrayed him, followed him here. What had she seen? He remembered his snout touching Corals and shivered. Why was she here? Why did she care where he went, when she barely paid attention to him anyway.

"What are you doing here?" cried Coral. He knew she was thinking the same thing he was. A vase shattered behind them. Queen Anenome's face turned disapproving.

"Coral," she said sharply. "Your animus gift is dangerous. Enough mistakes like that and you will lose your soul."

"But Mother, she followed us here! She saw us-" Coral cut herself off abruptly.

"What exactly happened on the way here?" Said the Queen in a very measured voice. She looked from Coral to Ripcurrent to Seastar. None said a word. Ripcurrent couldn't decide. His sister who never paid attention to him anyway, or the dragon he loved, who treated him like he mattered. It should be an easy decision, but it wasn't. Finally he broke the silence.

"I'm going, Seastar, whether you like it or not. If you don't tell me why I can't go, there's no reason why I shouldn't." He lifted his snout defiantly.

"You have to trust me. She's an animus, Ripcurrent, don't you get what she might do to you, that her soul might be almost gone already?" Coral looked like she was going to cry. "Don't you care about your sister?"

That was it. Ripcurrent was shouting. "Why should I? You never talked to me, all those times I would have given anything just to play with you, instead of sitting in that cave.  You weren't my sister. You never cared about me. I'm going. You can't stop me."

So with one last wrenching sob, Seastar fled from the palace. He knew there were other reasons Seastar didn't want him to go. But before he could find out, he had to go on a diplomatic mission. And no one could tell him he couldn't.