Chapter 28

So That's How It Happened

A Few Hours Ago ...

        "You have before midnight until the werewolf bite's side affects start to kick in," Klaus informed Damon, him being crouched to the ground staring at his wound in pure and utter agony. The fact that he was in such great pain didn't seem to faze Klaus at all, in fact it caused a grin to play onto his face at the sight of his power over him, "You may retrieve your precious Echo and do what must be done."

He laced his hands behind his back formally and casually, making his way to the next room. Soon, Damon felt a hand latch to his shoulder in contentment. He turned, his hand still clutched to his wrist, almost like it was glued there. There, Elijah was standing, his face screaming silently, "I'm sorry," as if saying it for Klaus. He gestured to the room behind them.

        "Echo's in there. You should get her and get out." He told him sternly.

        Damon nodded before saying, "I just need to talk to her ... alone."

He was getting ready to lash out with an immediate "no", all because his ignorant brother would get angry about it, but his sympathy over-powered any of his other emotions; that's the price he had to pay for being the "noble one."

        "Make it quick."

He shoved past him, following after the same room his brother triumphantly stowed away to. Once Elijah was gone, he tried to stand, but his legs grew weak from the moment he put his weight on them, and he had no choice but to crumble to the ground. He winced to the sight of the boiling bite that mocked his forearm. Due to the long wait, Echo soon appeared from behind him.

        "Damon?" She questioned him, a plaster of worry pouring out of her light brown eyes.

He didn't want Echo to see him so weak; it would make her think something was definitely wrong. Even if it was, he wouldn't want her to know that. He pushed himself to super-speed against the back of the couch, a good couple feet away from her. He hid his wound behind his back and casually leant against the couch as if it wasn't his support to keep standing.

        "Damon?" She repeated, taking a few steps closer.

        "Echo," He began, the pain starting to numb his legs. He felt like he could drop to the floor at any moment, "I need to tell you something before we leave this dump, alright?"

        "Damon, you're sweating really bad. Are you sure we shouldn't get going?"

        "Yeah, I'm positive, Echo. Just listen to me," He took a big gulp, afterwards, him finding it very hard to breathe. He tried to hide the pain in between sentences, "I need you to cooperate as much as you can right now? Can you do that for me?"

She didn't answer, all she did was give a very perplexed glare. It was like she wanted to say something, but she just couldn't. Before Damon could say anything, he let out a cough---a hard and raspy one. The numbness of the venom seemed to have turned his legs to jelly. He fell to the ground, his back sliding against the red stitching of the couch as he sat on the cold, laminate ground.

        "Oh my gosh, Damon!" Echo shrieked to the sight of his collapse. She jetted over to him, not even noticing that his arm was still behind his back, hiding something.

        "Hey, hey, look at me," She started to console as her soft, delicate hands traveled all over his rough, sweaty face. He could barely keep his eyes open, but her subtle voice and the cool touch of her fingertips kept him from going unconscious.

        "Damon, how what's all of this about? I ..."

He shushed her before she could say anything more to him. His hands grazed her face wearily, trying to calm her down. "It's ok. Don't worry about it."