Stop the Madness

Note: This a a character's point of view chapter.

Chapter 16

Kimmie's POV

6:07 A.M.

"Dad, there's these scientists," my brother said in a low British accent, "I'm heading for the lab. Dad you need to-", but then he stopped talking. Guards from the lab were already right behind him, overlooking him under their shadows. You could hear our dad in the background, continuously asking about what was happening through my brother's cellphone. Soon enough, Alfie hung up the phone, and he dropped it as guards dragged him away.

Then I sat up, catching a net of air to breathe, then calming down afterwards. It was just a dream. But its the same dream I had the night before, and the other night before, too. I tried to sweep the thought off my mind, so I was focusing on the problem at hand. Our friends were trapped in a lab, out there, somewhere. I turned around my fanny pack to unzip it, then reached in for my iPod touch. Its been with me for four years now, and losing it in this apocalypse would just be pathetic. I swear it will never leave my side.

6:10 A.M., it read. I set it back in my pack, and positioned it back on my back. I looked around the room for a bit. We were supposed to set out at 7:25, but I didn't think it would hurt to get an early start. I wanted to leave already. What use was it to waste time waiting for the rest to awake? I could easily journey on foot and find the lab. I planned on journeying on my own, in hopes of hurrying the task sooner. If they were being tortured or nearly killed, chances are that the sooner I head after them, the better.

So I carefully stepped off the king-sized bed. We had all been staying in the master bedroom for the days we've been here. Seeing there were many of us, a few of us slept on the ground and chairs, while some of us were able to squeeze ourselves onto the bed. I chose to sleep on the left end. Once I got my feet planted on the floor, I reached under the bed for my double-sided blade and my maroon hoodie, then I proceeded to head towards the door. I nearly stepped on Angelo's hand as he calmly slept on the ground. The door creaked a bit as I opened it, but shutting it close was silent. Pretending to train as an agent in my spare time wasn't stupid at all at this point. I got out of the room in peace.

Luckily, the room was downstairs. If we stayed upstairs, the creaky stairs would've given me away. Once I was by the couches, I threw on my hoodie over my white 'The Beatles' muscle-tee, then moved my rainbow-tipped hair out of my clothes. I slipped on my converse, laced up, and bounced out the door.

To be perfectly honest I had no clue what I was thinking. 1)I wasn't quite sure where exactly the lab was, and 2)No one knew about me leaving, and lastly 3)I had no backup, and I could quite frankly die at any given moment.

It was sort of stupid of me to think that I could just miraculously find the lab on my own, but I had high hopes and it was a shot into the void. You can't really tell what would happen next. From what I recall from last night, the lab was somewhere northeast. While helping us pack our things, Loreto informed us that we would be heading down a road north of the dome. The dome is north, and the road led east. It was the clearest direction.

So I trusted myself, and I began walking in the direction the group once led us heading to the dome. From there, I went eastward. And really nothing else stood in my mind but rescuing our friends. I didn't want to wait. I couldn't wait. My patience was no longer available. If I had the opportunity to get them, I would, and that opportunity is now. If I could just Apparate, which is Harry Potter knowledge, I would. But I'm merely a muggle, and wizards and witches are just a universe in J.K. Rowling's imagination that we choose to live in, even if we can't.

In the future, I really should write a book about this journey, how I've been walking through the woods for ten minutes now, thinking about writing a book while searching for a lab. Maybe the rest of my friends would like to join in on the writing. Scarlet would probably begin suggesting short stories on our adventures. We could get the books published. It would be astonishing. That is, if the world survives the apocalypse. Stop thinking negative, Kim, its not helping, really.