Chapter 26

The door to the barn was wide open when we arrived on Dehlia's property. It was nearing dusk and a light fog covered the ground like a blanket. I proceeded on Ginger alone. The others had stopped at a market to buy some food. I had wanted Alexa to come with me to see Flea but she had said she wanted me to talk to Flea first.

My mind raced fast and I myself was deep in a foggy mess of thoughts.

I dismounted Ginger and led her to a hay bale and a water trough. She neighed happily as I took the sweaty blanket from her back and set it on a stone. I patted her mane, nodded, and forced my feet forwards.

"Hey," I said finding Flea muttering to herself and collecting some items.

"Oh," she cleared her throat," uh hi."

"Look I was asked to explain something-"

"Don't," she said firmly and wiped her nose with her sleeve.

"-but, I don't think I should be the one to explain another's actions when I dont understand them," I sighed,"look Flea I just want you to know that I'm here for you," I said outstretching my arms.

She graciously took the offer of a hug and then thanked me.

"Wanna go do something? Get your mind off things?" I asked

"Sure, mind off things...that sounds good," she laughed loosely.

I left a note for the others to find and we went into town. As we left I talked to Dehlia shortly to explain our actions and that the others will be along presently. She had ducked her head oddly. Her manurism shocked me.

"Yes yes," she said quickly," alright.Good to know."

A loud bang was heard inside along with a muffled scream. Deliah's brow furrowed and she became sweaty. Flea was standing by a pot of lillies by a closed window. I waved her over pressing a finger to my lips. She nodded and went to grab her sword from her belt.

I mouthed "no" and she listened.

"Okay well have a good night Dehlia. Stay safe," I said with a sly curtsy.

"Yes dear," she said fast then the door slammed.

"Come along Flea," i said loud for the people inside the home to hear and winked at Flea," into town for some bread."

"Fancy to walk? Its nice out here," Flea said at equal volume.

"Sure it is lovely," i stiffled a laugh.

We walked out of sight from the house then turned back to round the barn. The people in Dehlia's house/inn were likely men from the Fitsgerald kingdom or the Southerners. This rescue party to save Fillip and Alexa had turned into a new threat to lives.

"We cant save them, through the curtain I counted at least six men!" Flea whisper-shouted.

"I have to try! We brought this upon them," i reasoned.

"I cant do this! Its suicide!" Flea begged," please no. We can get the others."

"It may be too late by the time we get back with them," i thought for a moment," you go. I will go into the house try my best not to get killed," i said lightly.

Flea scoffed at me," surely your kidding! This is a jest yeah?"

"Not a jest Flea, I am serious. I dont want another soul to die," i gulped," because of me."

"Fine you go I will get the others here quick as I can, " she sighed and went to get her horse," and Jade?"

"Yeah?"

"Dont die," she said then ran off.

"Ha!" I laughed," that reminds me of someone."

I waited until her horse was onto the road. She mustve chosen the grassy stretch in the middle because i couldnt hear the trotting of hooves.

"Okay," I said to myself, pulling out my sword," here we go!"

I used the items in the yard to sneak my way to the house. The cool air sunk to my bones and i shivered. It was much darker now and the only source of light was the house. I arrived at the side door near the living room I had been in when i had fainted. It clicked open when i placed my sword between the wooden door and the metal piece.

A group of five maids, a cook, and one couple were kneeling on the ground gagged and trembling. The cook, assumed by her white uniform and grease stains, bad a gash on her forehead. Another maid, assumed to her black and white uniform, was wide eyed at the sight of me. She was very young. Her mother, as i took it, was very close to her and had been using a sharp piece of glass to cut her girl loose.

I looked to the open doorway and saw Dehlia being questioned. The rought kind that resulted in her bloody hands and wet face. I turned back to the sorry group on the floor and moved towards them slowly sneaking by the open doorway. I left the door i came through open.

"I'm here to help," i said and cut the mother loose and ungagged her," go to the barn with this lot. My friends will be along soon. Let them know Jade sent you and that she had to do this. Please. They will understand."

The woman nodded and pulled her red-head daughter along. I quickly freed the others and ushered them out the room quickly. I watched as they left. Quietly thanking me with pats or a hug. The man tilted his head and hurried to bring the others to safety and keep them quiet.

I walked in the other rooms around the kitchen silently knocking the husky men down. The base of my sword made this easy because it was a strong metal. I moved around the home easily making my way in a half moon around the home. One man landed with a loud thud and I grunted.

"Who's there?!" The man in the kitchen yelled.

Time was speeding up and i ran into the kitchen and grabbed Dehlia pushing her behind me. I moved backwards drawing my sword but the man only laughed. I opened the front door with my free hand and pressed Dehlia out. I looked at the man again and he had pulled out a shiny item. Gleaming silver with a barrel at the end. New technology. This was a gun.

I sighed as he pulled a lever at the back and fired a metal ball at the kitchen wall.

"Son of a-"

"Gun?" He laughed and flexed his large muscles. His dark moustache curled upwards at my annoyance," you my dear are coming with me."