M A L F U N C T I O N

Hello! This is my first written fan fiction, so go easy on me! If you enjoy it, why don't you give it a vote? I'm not quite sure if to leave this as a one shot, or to expand it into a full length fan fiction. Leave your suggestions in the comments.

O N E:

O N E:

"Hello, Dan and Phil Games home birds!" I cheer, peering into our camera, as if our viewers really were listening to us. My lips spread into a humongous grin that only recording with Dan can draw from me; it illuminates the entirety of the monotonous living room. Perched in our usual places, my back presses firmly against the tattered leather computer chairs.

Dan, my best friend, sits by the side of me, an unenthusiastic look etched into his features. His eyebrow tilt, as he questions, "Really Philly, home birds?" He rolls himself further forward, rolling his eyes melodramatically in the lens.

I shrug innocently. "Dil's finally home from his camping trip, so.. Yeah.." my voice fade, and I peer at Dan for reassurance. My cheeks heat crimson at the embarrassment.

"Alright, I'll give you that one." He shoots me a sympathetic glance, before his attention flicks to the camera once more. "So, since Dil made it back home successfully.."

I cut him off. A small chuckle escaping my lips, my tongue pokes out. "You make it sound like Dil is incapable of everything," I say finally, my elbow edging into his side. Today, he wears an Attack On Titan sweater, and tight-fitted jeans, accompanied by cracked boots and a mellow, crystallised smile.

"He is, having parents like us," he responds, laughing with me. His head tilts back slightly, exposing a miniature dimple on his left cheek.

"Anyway, as Danny was saying, you guys were going insane in the comments, demanding that we try out a new expansion pack," I explained enthusiastically, "so, I paid for one from the Sims website this morning, so it should be ready to install." Taking control of the mouse, I minimised the Sims 4 window, the cheerful music instantly cutting out. I continue to scour for the Origin app, and double-clicked the new pack icon. A message appeared in a miniature box on the screen.

"Sims 4: To Life. Click Next to begin installation."

Without warning, I followed the instructions on screen, whilst Dan continued uttering into the microphone. I waited patiently for the green to travel across the Origin icon in the task bar, but when it did, I was completely unaware of the chilling consequences. In an instant, my laptop froze; the screen fell motionless. In addition to this, the camera sounded alarmingly. Our faces were replaced by an unfamiliar error screen.

"What the heck, Phil? What happened to the damned camera?" Dan exclaims, running a gigantic hand through his honey brown hair in mild frustration. For a tedious time, he paces around the room, his feet dragging with a swish across the carpeted floor. 

"It wasn't my fault, it was this expansion pack!" I flail clumsily, "what are you looking for?"

"I'm tryna find the camera charger, it can't be a coincidence that both things cut out at once," he responds. Yanking away at the drawer, an anime figure soars through the air, catapulting onto the carpet. "Got it!" he yells from behind. His mighty hands cautiously tear the camera from the tripod, plugging it into the main power source. I hear his fingers continuously prod the on button, only to be unsuccessful. He curses.

Meanwhile, I frantically attempt to manually refurbish the MacBook. My fingers cover every key, every inch of the mousepad to bring it to life. Without warning, it produced a boisterous buzzing noise that rattled out ears, cascading off the pearly white walls. The screen blanked out. Completely, and utterly broken.

"Uh, Phil?" Dan enquires. He acknowledges my eyes, fixated on the screen. It was as if I were in a trance, despite me being aware of everything happening around me. I felt myself slipping into an oblivion.

"Installation complete."