CHAPTER NINE |:| NUMBER ONE FAN

C H A P T E R  N I N E  |:|  N U M B E R  O N E  F A N 

a month after and a year before

August 24, 2007

The morning starts with me helping my mom clean the house. After we eat breakfast, my mom washes the dishes and I get the broom to clean the floor.

"Mom, what is your favorite holiday?"

"New Year," my mom answers automatically. "Why the sudden interrogation?"

"Nothing. I just remembered the time we were cleaning the house after the July thing party."

My mom chuckles and washes her hands. "It's called the Fourth of July, Massie."

I just hum and continue my way towards the living room as I clean it.

"What's yours?" My mom follows me and fixes the pillows at the cushion.

"Easy. Christmase," I say with a smile, remembering the time when I greeted Christian happily on the 25th of December last year.

"It's called Christmas, honey." My mom chuckles again, clearly not getting my point.

"No, Mom, it's Christmase. The day Christian and I met. The day I met my best friend. You know, Christian and Massie together, you put the words together. Christmase!" My attention is now fully on Mom, explaining how I came up with the great idea.

As I tell her all the crazy stuff Christian and I did at his house, I don't notice my mom picking up the broom I left and continuing to clean the house.

"And then, he threw his popcorn at me! But I didn't back down, I threw more popcorn at him! Ha! Now that will teach him a lesson, but noooo! He —" I follow my mom around as she nods her head, listening to me rant.

∞ 🏀 ∞

"So, how was it?" I ask. It has been a very long day and my mom finally lets me go and play at Christian's house.

Christian looks at me pensively, not saying anything. For that second, I think I can hear my heart breaking from the sad look on his face that means only bad news.

He slowly removes his pout and turns into a big sloppy smile. "Of course I did great; you should have seen the way coach called my name as part of the team!" He jumps on his bed, looking so carefree and blissful, and I sit on the chair beside his table.

"Well, I'm sorry that I couldn't see your try-out since no audience was allowed. But I'm very proud of you, Mr. Anderson." I hug him and pat his head.

"You can call me the future Michael Jordan," Christian says and smirks at me. He stands up tall, looking almighty.

"Okay, I don't know him and I know nothing related about basketball. All I know is that I'm your number one fan," I say with a grin, matching Christian's.

"Now, let's go to the public library because I have been waiting for ages to get my hands on my favorite book." I grab Christian's hand and two helmets on the table simultaneously.

"Race you into the garage!" Christian shouts and quickly takes a run, leaving me behind with two helmets in my hands.

My mouth is hanging open like a fish out of water at his outburst. "There wasn't even a countdown! Unfair!" So I run as fast as my legs can carry me because shouting at Christian won't really change any facts. Plus, the only response I hear is Christian's evil laughter which isn't helping my case.