Chapter 13 - One Call Is All It Takes

I jolt upright in my bed. A window-shattering  scream escapes my body. "It was just a dream. It was just a dream..." I mutter to myself, repeatedly. Somebody knocks on my door. When I do not answer, they let themselves in. It's Ollie. He sits down. I must of waken him. I am still muttering when he asks me if I am ok. Looking at him, he is obviously exhausted. Still in pyjama bottoms and shirtless, he looks back at me. "I... Um... I..." I literally have nothing to say. I look down, noticing that I am shaking rapidly. Ollie puts his hand on top of mine to stop it from shaking. "It was just a dream." I finally let myself say it properly. It was just a dream. "What happened?" Ollie avoids making eye contact. "I don't know." He gets up to walk away when I grab his arm. "Please don't leave me." Turning, Ollie smiles and sits beside me once again. "Try and get some sleep, ok?" "I can't" I don't want to sleep. I don't need to sleep. It's overrated anyway. "Do you want to watch s movie for a bit then? It might take your mind off of it." I nod. He goes into the living room to sort out a movie. I wrap myself in my duvet and walk to the sofa. Ollie is already there. Welcoming me with open arms, I sit down and put my head onto his chest. He can be just the person I need... sometimes.

I lift my head. Looking behind me to the clock, I see that it is 6:15am. I yawn and go towards the kitchen. I begin my usual routine, starting with breakfast. I take the eggs and milk from the fridge and begin to make some scrambled eggs. I put four slices of bread in the toaster, 2 each. I share out the eggs onto 2 plates that I put on the table. The toast pops out of the machine so I spread butter on 2 of the pieces and jam on the other two. I put 1 butter and 1 jam on Ollie's and put the others on my plate. I take the ketchup front the fridge just as I see Ollie stir. I sit at the table, eating my food quickly, seeing as I don't really want to eat it at all. When I have finished I rinse my plate under the tap and go to my room. I don't have to go to work until later so I better get dressed. I take put my red skater skirt and black vest. After I have put it on, I get out a pair of black dolly shoes. Looking in my full length mirror, I evaluate myself. My face looks so droopy. I sit down. Reaching over to my makeup bag, I open it and apply some to my face. When I am finished, I go I into the living room. Ollie is up now. He's eating his breakfast as he looks up and gives me a thankful smile. We are on better terms now. Not for any particular reason but we have just started being like it was before. I go over to the window. I open the curtains. I catch my breathe with what I see. A young man, mid twenties is sitting on the pavement and looking straight up at me. I stumble backwards and fall to the floor. I hear Ollie's chair screech back as he rushes over to me. He puts his hands on my back to stable me. Who are these people? I need to get this sorted. Now. I reach into my back pocket and dial a number. "How can I help" his voice makes my heart quicken as panic stars to take over. " Officer Drooge? It's Janie Smith. I need to talk to you..."