Chapter 7- I Gotta Go

Anthony walked into the kitchen with me sitting in his grasp when his phone suddenly rang. I started in surprise, flinching at the noise.

     "Sorry." He set me down on the table and plucked the phone up.

     "Yello?... uh, yeah, I'm doing good... uh huh..." He frowned. "Uh huh? Huh, that's uh... that's great, awesome. Mkay, b-bai." He hung up and glanced over at me, his eyes wide with both guilt and concern.

     "They're coming over to do a full check of all of our places again. They're using a small sample of your blood to track your scent with bloodhounds, wh-which means..." I widened my eyes.

     "You'll get in trouble." I whispered. His eyes hardened with determination.

     "It'll be worth it though. I'll fix your cast and drive as far away from here as I can with out being away long enough for the sweep search to not come home to an empty house, which means that you'll have a two hour head-start."

     "B-but the dogs'll know my scent's on you." I stammered, panicking. "Y-you'll get in trouble!"

     "... I can say that I saw you hiding in my house." He said suddenly. "And I did catch you, but just before they could get here, you escaped." I was about to protest when he sharply added, "look, we don't have time to argue, alright!?" I sighed and nodded as he quickly but gently snatched me off the table, which made me feel motion sick for a moment, and he quickly changed my cast. "Alright let's go." He tucked me into his shirt pocket and jogged out to his driveway, hopping into his truck and starting the engine. The tires screeched as he pulled out his driveway and zoomed away from his house, while I shrank back at the loud ear-splitting noise. He was ignoring the speed limit and drove far away from the city neighborhood, the environment speeding past us. The building gradually gave away to plants, and he finally slowed the vehicle to a stop.

"This is as far as I can go." Anthony murmured, opening the door and gently prying me out of his pocket. "I hope you stay safe... Aurora." He lowered his hand and tilted it, forcing me to slide of and land on the ground right below it. Then he closed the door and started the engine. I scampered away to be safe from possibly getting run over as he slowly drove away, then was speeding back to civilization. I shivered at how cold it was with out any source of warmth, glancing around in apprehension.

I was alone, again.

It felt weird without anyone nearby to protect me, and I found myself starting to miss Anthony. I pushed away the small prick of sadness I was feeling. No time to feel sorry, I had to find shelter, food and water. I was in the wild, after all, now. I sighed and started walking to look for any water nearby, seeing dew that had collected on some stalks of grass. I had no idea where I was, so I guess that was ok as long as no one found me.

After about an hour of roaming, I finally came across a small puddle of rainwater. I cupped my hands together and greedily drank it, feeling the cool delicious liquid trickling down my throat. I drank a few more sips until I was full, so I stumbled away from the puddle, seeing a hollow log. Well that could provide a temporary shelter. I walked over to it and clambered inside, seeing that It was big enough for me, but not for larger predators.

 I shivered, already feeling a little chilly, and I curled myself miserably on the lower part of the fallen tree with a small yawn. Then I gradually slipped into sleep.