A Soul to Keep [Preface]

Preface

I grew up in a world where people keep on saying that love is the best feeling anyone can ever feel. Well, I believed them. And truth be told, I still do. But every time I watch her sleep like an angel beside me just like now, I couldn’t help but stain that feeling with fear.

Yes, I’m afraid. That is what’s keeping me from being truly happy whenever she’s with me, when we’re together. And even though I know I should have not felt afraid in the first place considering that I’ve always known she can’t stay, I still felt it.

Why, because I’m in love with her. I fell so deeply in love with her.

Unconsciously, the back of my hand started tracing her smooth pink cheek and before I could stop it, her eyelids slowly fluttered open, revealing those brown eyes I’ve always adored. And when they found mine, the corner of her lips pulled to a beautiful smile.

“I love you,” she whispered my favorite words before pulling me to a hug.

That moment I wanted so badly to reply. I wanted to tell her that I love her, too; I wanted to tell her that she’s very pretty and that I can watch her sleep all night. But I wasn’t able to speak a word because that hug brought the fear creeping all over me again, and all I managed to do was to pray silently in my head. I prayed the same three things over again for the hundredth time.

I prayed that first, it isn’t just a dream because having her beside me felt like one; second, I prayed that time stops and we remain like that for the rest of eternity, both of us in each other’s arms.

 And lastly, I prayed and wished so bad that her heart is still beating.