Day 2

Dear Diary,
The boy wasn't in class today. I wonder where he was.

I was walking out of my classroom as I heard heavy panting coming from the janitors closet.

I walked toward the closet as my curls bounced from in front of me to my back. I slightly opened the closet and peeked in. I looked up, sideways, and then finally, down. I saw Chase holding his knees to his chest rocking back and forth, panting like a dog would. His head was buried in his knees as once again I couldn't see his face.

Emily: Chase? Listen, you need to talk to me. Okay? Now...what's wrong?

He started breathing faster.

Emily: Chase. Calm down...

I reached for his shoulder so maybe I could stop his rocking back and forth but he scooted deeper into the closet before I touched him.

He said something! But in a whisper that not even mice could here. But I got close and heard what he said.

Chase: Go away...

Emily: ...No. Tell me what's wrong...now!

Chase: ....

He didn't respond to me anymore he just kept panting heavily and rocking himself.

Emily: Someone! Get a teacher or a nurse or someone he needs some help!

I said that because I thought that would make him talk. But still not a peep.

Mrs. Danielle came out of the class in a rush after she heard my voice.

She walked up to me and looked at Chase. She gasped and reached out for him but all he did was scoot farther into the closet.

Mrs. Danielle: What's wrong with him?

Emily: I don't know but I think we need a counselor or someone that will help him.

Mrs. Danielle: I'll go get Mrs. Bradford.

Mrs. Danielle walked away in a rush to go get the counselor.

I bent down on my knees and scooted a little closer to Chase.

Emily: Hey, Chase. I really want to help you. I know you don't really know anything about me so...lets talk about ourselves. My name is Emily and my favorite color is purple. My parents are divorced and I live with my grandparents. I've never really met my Dad but I'm pretty sure I don't want to anytime soon. Anyway...um...what else? Oh yeah, I wonder what your secret is. Okay, that's everything about me. What about you? Got any secrets?

I scooted a little closer and tried to find his face. He didn't respond.

Emily: Common? What's your secret? Just tell me something about you. Anything? Okay just write it on paper or something if you can't talk.

I sighed and pulled a piece of paper out of my binder and a pencil from my pencil pouch.

Emily: Here.

I put them in front as him and he moved one of his hands from his legs and picked them up. He slid the paper under his head and started writing. I was getting really excited. He finished and handed me the paper back, still hiding in his knees.

It said: ...Don't we all have a secret to hide? A secret that we don't want any one to know?

I stared at it blankly for a second.

Emily: Uh...yeah...I guess so. But we all have to share them at some point right?

His head shook back and forth as a "no".

Emily: ...okay then. Um...can you at least talk to me? Like maybe lift your head up or something...

I reached for his hoody and lifted it up a little as he snatched my hand and twisted it. I screamed and pulled my arm out of his grasp.

Emily: What's wrong with you! You almost broke my hand over a stupid hoody!

He got up quickly from where he was sitting and ran out of the closet down the left hall. I stood up and watched him run.

Emily: I know you almost broke my hand...but that won't stop me from finding out your secret.