Midst Of Classics

She sat on the couch in her living room. Her legs were sprawled on the table before her and a Coffee mug stood steaming on a mat besides. She had her classic, big framed glasses on as she looked through the old album which rested on her lap.
She flipped another page and the old prom picture brought thousands of memories back to her. Her eyes slowly scanned the picture as she closed them afterwards. She knew that the picture had more than just two teenagers standing hand in hand. She knew the pampering she had from her Mom in wearing the elegant lace dress perfectly. She knew that he looked extremely handsome with a classic tuxedo and slicked back hair. She knew because she remembered.

Even though it has been 4 years since she had last seen him. But she remembered every detail of that beautiful evening. A small tear escaped her closed eyes and caught her attention. She opened her eyes to see the small droplet on the picture in the album. Sighing deeply, she wiped her tears away from her knuckles after removing the glasses.
She was just about to take a sip of the Cappucino, she had in front of her, when the doorbell rang. She put on her glasses and stood up to open her apartment's door.

She looked at her attire before opening the door. She knew that she wouldn't be looking awful as she had returned from a dinner at her friend's house.

She opened the door and immediately thought that her eyes were playing tricks on her.

He stood there, on her doorstep, wearing an apologetic smile on his face. She blinked several times, not being able to believe the reality.

His style has changed. He had a white t-shirt on with a black leather jacked along with navy blue jeans.

"Can I come in?" He spoke in a low and calm voice.
"Yea...Yeah." She spoke frantically and moved out of his way.

Closing the door behind her, she walked to where he stood.

His wild eyes wandered from her head to toe. He took in her attire and smiled at himself knowing that this girl was still in the midst of classics. Her feet were protected by one of those comfy and fluffy slippers, she always loved to wear while she had a adorable creme knit sweater paired with ripped jeans. He reached her face at the end which held the mixed emotions of confusion, sadness and surprise. The bold red lip classic thing amazed him again, just like it used to do in high school. His heart quickened its pace as he managed to snatch his eyes away from her 'oh so tempting' lips and looked in her eyes which were slightly curtained by her big framed glasses.

"Why Liam?" Her question was simple and comprehensive, yet was enough to make him understand the meaning.

He shrugged in reply and turned around casually as if everything was as normal between them as it used to be.
Walking towards the huge couch, he noticed the Coffee mug until his eyes fell onto the old album. He looked closely and found their high school prom picture where they stood hand in hand with a precious smile dancing on their lips.
That moment, he knew that he made a mistake leaving her, bigger than what he was considering it to be.
He turned around abruptly and saw her behind him, looking over his shoulder at the same picture. He could see her glossy hazel eyes as he knew those from so long. Her long and thick eye lashes framed her big eyes like a curtain. And he knew, that he had missed something that was meant to be more beautiful than what he has seen in the past years.

"Sarah..." He trailed off with a voice that was barely audible.

Her head turned to him and he soon identified the mask of confusion and rage on her beautiful features.

"I'm sorry." He neared her and just as he was afraid, she neither moved nor showed any response.

He waited for her to say anything and when she did, it broke his heart.

"Why Liam? Why are you here today?"

Her voice came as shooting daggers in his heart but he kept quiet.

"I am sorry, Sarah. I am extremely sorry." He stated his defence.

"Why are you here?" She stressed on 'here'.

"Because I need you. I need you back." He spoke what she dreaded to hear.

"I have heard that you've been out with some other girl. Then why me?" She stated without showing any sign of how her insides were screaming to let go of the negotiation and jump in his arms.

"You've heard the truth. But I...I can't stop thinking about you." He spoke as if he was ashamed of the fact.

"After all these years. Do you really expect me to forgive you. Oh Liam, you don't know how much I've missed you and being with you..." She paused with her voice turning shaky.

"Just felt right. Even when I knew that you were my best friend." She stopped to look him in the eye and then shouted,

"Liam Spencer, you broke me!"

He felt his heart breaking and shattering into thousands of small pieces and flying across all the space.
He felt as if he was late and all of this would be of no use.

"Sarah.." He neared her, wrapping her arms around her fragile body immediately.

She neither backed off nor flinched at his touch. Instead, she leaned into him, into his touch.
The sparks ignited on the places his finger tips moved. She knew that she was becoming vulnerable but she didn't want to melt, right there, in his arms. Because that wasn't classic. That was 'weak'.

"Shh... Shh. I am here now, Sarah. Let me make it up to you?" His statement came out as more of a question.

She looked up to meet his eyes and studied the emotions of apology, sadness and concern peeking through.

"But..." She stopped to find the right words in her mind.

"Its been a while since I have even heard of you, Liam. Its difficult. I can't do that to you, to me." She tried to explain as honestly and as calmy as she could.

"Why Sarah? Why? Don't you love me?" He interrogated.

That was the cue. The extreme for her whirling emotions. She struggled to get out of his masculine arms and backed a few steps away from him.

The expressions on his face were of confusion and sadness.

"I-I-I don't know." She manipulated her words to form a grammatically right sentence.

"Why is it hard for you to know?" He paced towards her vulnerable being.

"Didn't you like it when we held hands? Didn't you feel those tingling sparks shooting throughout your body?" He reached her.

Her eyes were agape and mouth slightly dropped open. She didn't expect him to go this far for her.

"Didn't you like it when I looked at your soul through your beautiful hazel eyes?" He stated, staring her right in the eyes.

Their bodies were almost touching. She felt his hot breath fanning her hair and forehead. He looked into her eyes as if she was all he had and all that he cared for.

"L-L..." She tried to say his name but her tongue went against her will.

He put his index finger on her lips and lightly whispered in her ear,
"Didn't you love it when we kissed like this?"

Ending the statement, his lips came crashing down on hers. The feelings were mutual, and the both of them knew it. It wasn't manipulation. It was realisation that hit her with his help.

The sparks were there. Even after all those years. They felt the closure they needed for so long.

The look in her eyes amazed him as they pulled apart to breathe.

It showed love.

"Am I forgiven, lady?" He asked her in his best 'posh' accent with a smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

"Indeed, you are." She gushed with a real smile on her face, giving a really classic answer.

"Because 'we' never go out of style, love!"
She immediately agreed to his statement which perfectly showed off his British accent.
--------------------------------------------

1397 words

~Sarah R. Parkens