Chapter 15

The next night, Gretchen did indeed stay planted in the grandstand until after Matt was finished riding. As expected, he'd placed first, and she might have cheered a little too loudly. But she didn't care. He had been magnificent, powerful, the sexiest man she'd ever laid eyes on. When she saw him walking toward the grandstand, he nodded for her to join him. Her nerves staged a dance party under her skin as she descended the stairs.

Matt immediately took her hand in his and led her out toward the field where all the vehicles were parked. When they reached his truck, he gently turned her to face him.

"I've been thinking about you all day."

A thrill zinged through her.

"Can I kiss you?"

It touched her that he asked for what most guys just took. "Yes."

She'd never understood the idea of melting at the touch of another person, not until Matt's arms came around her and his lips claimed hers. He felt so strong, so incredibly good pressed close to her. When they finally came up for air, the look in his eyes brought her back to reality. She knew he wanted her to ask him back to her place as surely as if he'd said the words. But she had no home, and despite all they'd shared in their short acquaintance, she couldn't admit that she was homeless. That fact and the reason why were just too humiliating. So instead of continuing down the path they were traveling, she stepped out of his arms and smiled up at him.

"I have to work early in the morning, so I need to get some sleep."

He looked disappointed, and she hoped that she hadn't just ruined everything.

But maybe this was for the best. Now that the rodeo was over, he'd be leaving. Though he planned to retire, he hadn't yet. And she couldn't let herself fantasize that he would retire to Blue Falls because of her. That was the Hollywood ending, and despite how wonderful her time with him had been she didn't believe she was destined for that type of fantasy happily ever after. Not that she wouldn't find happiness, but she had to be realistic.

But as she drove through town a few minutes later, she didn't want to be realistic. She wanted the magical ending. Tears filled her eyes, so fat and bursting with heartbreak that she had to pull off the road. She parked in the corner of the parking lot at the park below the Wildflower Inn. Needing to move, she got out of the car and went to stand next to the dark expanse of Blue Falls Lake. She bit her lip to keep from crying, but the tears would not be denied. As they flowed down her cheeks, she hated Adam all over again.