Chapter 9: Missing patrol

Albinos POV:

     I woke at daybreak, like I usually do. To something unusual, but expected. A set of orders were thrust under the door. They were in a red envelope, showing that it was to be done as soon as possible. I opened the green wax seal and read:

                                        Albinos

      A patrol left home tree a week ago. They were going to investigate a series of disruptions in sector 17 of the major port city of hell. We need you to rescue, or confirm the deaths of these four soldiers.

                       Alechan Mercier -Human  Age:37

                       The'Alcher Armongan-Elf  Age:213

                       Seamblade Jaropener-Gnome Age: 107

                       Magnus Algan Human-Age:24

       They have a history of loitering on missions, so do not be surprised if you find them deep in a tankard somewhere. I will require that you present a report to me after you have completed your mission. You may consider this your girlfriend's first mission. Return as soon as possible.

         Sharon    

        P.S. Do not expect a favor in return for giving me the elf. I have already done you one. 

       "Was she referring to Kara as my girlfriend?" I asked myself silently as I pulled my shirt on. Someday soon maybe, or maybe a long time from now. I am going to be her boyfriend though. Well,  wishful thinking never hurt anyone. What did she mean she already had done me a favor? Did she move us in together on purpose? Dang, she is slick. Anyway, what was she thinking? What gave her the impression? Then I remembered what happened last night.

        "What the hell was I thinking?" I thought to myself. She must hate me now.

       Kara then walked out of her bedroom. 

      "Good morning." She yawned as she pecked me on the cheek. "What do you have there?" She asked gesturing at the orders.

       I honestly have never been more happy to be wrong in my life.

      "Well these are orders to a mission. you may as well read them." I informed her. I handed them to her , as she sat down next to me.

       She shook in laughter for a moment. She then gasped:

       "We are looking for a couple of senile old men on a mission for a highly secretive society."

       "Actually elves age at a tenth of the rate we humans do." I explained. "Gnomes age about a fifth of our rate."

        "Then how old would Len'acshe be?" Kara asked me in curiosity.

      "Anywhere from 130 years old to 150." I informed her. "Don't ask though. Elves don't usually keep track."

         "Lets go then!" Kara said cheerfully. "We have a few senile middle aged men to find."

         As we exited the portal, we immediately headed west, away from the market district and to the slums (otherwise known as sector 17). We also peeked into every bar that we passed. No one had seen them in a while. Then we ran into something peculiar: A mob of the city watch all convening in a small city square. A small, squat man began to lead four middle aged men onto a podium. No there are ropes suspending from a log at the top. That was no podium, that was a gallows. Lovely, we came just in time for a public hanging.

        "We have all convened in this public square to wittiness the hanging of four men found guilty of being a part of the rebellion." The squat man leered. "Any last words?"  He brought out his dagger   and poked the first man in the stomach. "Well traitor!?"

        The man with the sharp implement to his stomach spoke up.

        "My name is Magnus Algan." He stated simply. "And I have something to say."

        The biased crowd booed at this revelation, unwilling to let the man speak.

        "Let them dig themselves a deeper hole." The squinty squat man stated with a sneer.

        The crowd hushed at that. Magnus continued his speech:

        "Ever since that law came about that the city watch could be as corrupt as they wanted to be, The fair city of Altru became the capitol of hell. You think the men of Altru are just are going to standby and watch as you rob their houses? You think anyone is going to abide by the behavior you put forth? The answer is this: the more you squeeze the more we will slip through your fingers. The more power you wield, the more the people will rebel. The more time you spend killing your people, the worse it will be for you. You will fall. At our deaths ten more will rise to take our places! You men have no drive except your evil lifestyle. We are fighting for our homes! That is why you will lose. You are not fighting for anything."

         "Shut up you traitor!" One watchmen cried out.

         "Here is the point." Magnus finished. "We did not betray Altru, you did."

         The square then exploded with sound. 

         "Let's hang them now!" One shouted.

        "Hanging is too good for them." Another insisted loudly.

        "Why don't we burn them like witches!" Yet Another insisted even louder.

        While the city watch was busy arguing, Me and Kara snuck around, and cut their bonds.

        "Nice speech." I complimented Magnus.

        "Thank you Albinos." He replied to me curtly.

        "Lets go." Kara said quickly, and we ran like hell away from hell.

       After we entered the portal we all burst out laughing.

       "They didn't even notice us leaving with the prisoners!" Kara said in stitches.

       "Wow they are too easy to trick!" Magnus said laughing.

       "Hey we have to report to Sharon!" I laughed along.

      "I know." Magnus stated simply. "Lets go."