Chapter Four ~flames and foam~

The Zion Emporium was a shack in Redton that sold little trinkets and souvenirs to the zealous tourists who actually enjoyed those cheesy bumper stickers and tee shirts. Its roof was set at a worrying angle, and its floor boards were worn and stained from years of dirt that had never been swept away. Outside, a small sign reminded customers to "please wear shirts and shoes," pitched into the ground next to a clump of weeds. Aelia suspected the sign had been pilfered from the long-abandoned seafood restaurant across the street due to the tiny painted lobster pinching the "o" in the word "shoe." Who ever heard of seafood in Utah though? No wonder it ran out of business.

Aelia now stood behind the counter of the Emporium, fiddling with her nametag and watching the one customer, a small elderly woman who squinted through old-fashioned glasses, roam the shack. Aelia was pretty sure that the woman thought her name was "Ae-ow-lia," as Aelia had pricked herself in her hurry to pin on her name tag, and the woman was quite probably too blind to read the tag. Obviously, this customer had little care toward her, as she had only harrumphed and continued her squinting inspection of the Zion souvenirs. She most likely wouldn't buy anything either.

Aelia sighed and shifted her weight from one leg to the other. The woman picked up a ceramic piggy bank with shaky hands, and Aelia tensed, ready for her to drop it. Actually, the piggy bank was a tiny bit adorable with its button snout and curly tail. It had probably been delivered with the most recent shipment of Zion wares. The woman set the piggy bank back down and Aelia relaxed. She was lucky the owner of the store hadn't been there when she'd arrived a bit late. He was known to have a temper, but thankfully, he trusted her to open up the shop on time without him, and to clean up and exit when her shift ended. The owner wasn't the most enthusiastic shop owner, but no one could call him negligent at least. He came and went as he pleased, dropping by to deliver more Zion goods to sell or sometimes just to visit the store and take note of its upkeep.

A bell chimed, announcing the arrival of another customer. Aelia looked over to the newcomer and for the second time that day prepared to give the standard Zion Emporium welcome. She wasn't a natural "people-person," so the words never slid out with ease, and instead sounded awkward and robotic.

"Hello, my name is Aelia and welcome to The Zion Emporium, offering delightful souvenirs to tell the story of a fantastic Zion vacation. Feel free to look around!" she said. It wasn't the most genuinely cheerful speech she had ever made, but it seemed the new customer didn't mind. He gave a small, nervous smile in response. Aelia decided he might be a few years older than her, perhaps, at the most. His face was pale and dotted with tiny freckles, and his short hair was a natural, though bright, red. He rolled his broad shoulders and Aelia could almost sense the waves of tension rolling with them. As he walked toward the counter, Aelia saw that his gait was slightly uneven, or stilted.

"Can I help you?" Aelia said, trying not to stare at the leg he was favoring.

"I really do seem in need of help," the customer said, rather bashfully. He had a slight European accent that clashed with his physical features. Aelia couldn't quite place it. A tourist, then. A half-grin, half-grimace was fixed upon his face. "I'm a bit lost." Yep, definitely a tourist.

"We have maps over in the corner of the store." Aelia gestured toward them, then glanced at his leg again. "You can wait here. I'll get them for you."

She started to move forward from behind the counter, but the young man shook his head. "No need. I can get them."

Aelia stayed behind the counter and watched as the young man struggled to make the few steps required to reach the corner of the Emporium-shack. He didn't seem to have too much trouble, but it was still painful to watch. Aelia winced each time he put weight on his troubled foot, but as he grabbed a few maps and turned back around, she tried to act as if she didn't notice. The old woman only glanced up at him and snarled. Snarled.