Chapter Twenty-three (Revised)

They were fighting all over the place. The fountain in the middle of the garden was smashed, burnt leaves and flowers were scattered and the whole front lawn was scorched. I heard shouting from our nearest neighbors who were about a hundred feet away, and I knew I'd hear some police sirens soon.

Cepheus only had a few cuts and scratches on him, and he clearly had the upper hand. Cyrus was tired. Blood oozed from his wounds. He took the brunt of Celia's barrier, and I can see that his wounds were starting to slow him down, but they were still fighting face to face. I considered stepping in between them, but that would do more harm than good.

"Cyrus!" I called. I couldn't help it.

"Don't worry about me," he said as he avoided the thin sword. He gave me a quick glance, but I understood what it meant. I almost forgot that fifteen people were watching us from the patio. I ran towards them.

"Are you guys okay?"

"Yes, Ma'am," they replied.

"Annaliese!" I turned and Carole was marching towards me. Her robe was torn and her styled hair was in tangles.

"What is this? Look at my house! The garden is--"

"Now's not really the best time, Carole. I just wanted to make sure you were all safe."

"What is this? Who was that lady? Who are they?" Her eyes flashed as she looked at me from head to toe. "What in the world are you wearing?"

The words came out like an automatic response, maybe because I was used to being sarcastic around her. "This would be the battle between good and evil, I guess. That was Celia, a princess who tried to kill me, those guys are from Seriah, and I'm wearing armor, if it isn't obvious."

She gaped at me, but her eyes calmed down. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"That was amazing, back there."

I had no idea what to say. "Uh, thanks?"

"Miss Annaliese!" Hilda cried. She pointed to the men fighting yards away.

No more time. "Listen, all of you. Get out of here. Go somewhere safe."

"What about the house?"

"Your lives are more important. Go!"

"But what about you?" I turned to leave, but Carole caught my arm. "Where are you going?"

"I have to help Cyrus."

"Cyrus? Annaliese, let's go."

"I can't explain right now. Please. I have to help him."

"You might die!"

"I don't care!"

She stepped back, stunned.

"Look, Carole, I have to go. He needs me. Maybe I can do this right. Please...he saved my life."

"Fine." She released her grip and turned to the maids. "What are you waiting for? Let's go!"

I nodded and ran off.

"You made me do this, Cyrus."

"No!" I lunged and shot Cepheus flying backward with a load of electric current from the sword. I knelt next to Cyrus, and he was gasping.

"I'm fine," he spluttered.