Chapter Seventeen

"I can't... This was a mistake, you shouldn't have come here," Shelley's voice seems nothing else but stressed. I take one look at her, before closing the distance between us. "I know you know something and I need to know whatever information you have about them," I practically beg her. I have to know what she is keeping from me. She is the only link to my biological parents and I am not going to let go, until the truth comes out.

She sighs, before unlocking her phone. What? Is she seriously going to text while this is going on?

"What are you doing?" her eyes are focused on me, before she starts to explain. "You want the truth? Fine, but I am not the only one who is going to admit everything," she tells me, before putting her phone onto her ear.

"Yes, it's me again. Come at my apartment in half an hour... Yes, we're going to tell him," by that, she hangs up and looks at me again.

"Why don't you come with me. I'll explain you everything you need to know."

. . .

I am standing next to her, in front of her apartment door. It's silent in the hallway, which make it even more awkward for us. Alyssa wanted to come with me, but Shelley insisted that I should come alone. Alyssa was protesting at first, but after reminding her her own words, saying that I should face this alone, she agreed and made me swear that I would tell her everything afterwards.

This building is a lot different from mine. And when I say different, I mean neater. As we enter her home, I look around, taking in everything I see. The walls are painted in a soft shade of yellow and like the rest of the building, it's modern and neat.

"Have a seat," a small smile is plastered on her face, probably wanting to make me feel at ease. I simply nod and pull a chair at the table. "You want anything? Tea, coffee?" her voice is muff as her back is turned to me, her being busy in the kitchen. "I'm fine," I tell her. I don't want to waste my time on a tea party. All I want are my answer, so that I can leave as soon as possible. She takes place across from me at the table, a steaming mug of coffee into her hands.

"He'll be here in a minute," she tells me, after a small moment of silence. "Who were you talking to exactly," I ask her, straightening my back and now looking straight at her. "Someone who is involved into this." Her reply doesn't really satisfy me, but I guess I'll have to wait to understand everything.

And like destiny had pity on my thoughts, the doorbell rings and I turn my head towards the door. Shelley goes towards her front door and when she opens it, a thin man with dark blonde hair is shown. His brown eyes immediately connect with mine and he furrows his eyebrows. He then mumbles something to Shelley, but I can't figure out what he is saying.

The man follows Shelley towards the table and while she takes place, he keeps staring at me. "You are absolutely sure it's him?" he asks her, his eyes not leaving my body. "Yes, I saw the certificate. He is Allen's son," Shelley's confirmation gives me a shiver down my spine. It's weird and kind of scary to hear that. In a few minutes I am going to know who's son I am.

The man nods, before sitting down next to Shelley, across from me. "Tristan, right?" he asks me and I nod. "Who are you?" my questions seems more aggressive than I intended it to. "My name is Greyson," he tells me. His sedate voice makes me less nervous.

"What we are going to tell you is going to sound unbelievable or maybe even heartless, but if you wanna know, we won't keep it from you." I just stare at him, wanting him to continue.

"First, we are not your parents," he starts. I furrow my eyebrows at him. "I figured, but why are your names written on my birth certificate?" They look at each other for a while and then Greyson sighs. "Do you have it with you, the birth certificate?" he asks me. I take the envelope out of my jacket and hand it to him. He removes the document out of it and shows it to me.