Chapter X

"Now!" Krella said, looking between Kai, Jess, Caspian, Amy and I. "GET TO WORK!"

The first thing Krella had me do today was take out the garbage with Kai.

"That was harsh." he said as we dragged number one out of fourteen garbage bags out back.

Before, you ask, of course this would be a great oppurtunity to escape! But we couldn't. Tiger sharks were guarding the perimeter 10 meters up and 5 on each side.

"Oh, don't worry. It's a regular thing." I said in a monotone.

"Really?" Kai raised his eyebrows at me.

"Yep." we returned to get the second garbage bag. "I'm surprised she hasn't slapped you or anything, yet, although that's probably because she just wants you to - " I stopped.

"Me to what?" he asked, looking into my eyes.

"Nothing." I tore my eyes away from his as we continued to drag the garbage bag out.

"You can tell me." he whispered.

"Well, it's just...never mind."

"Come on." Kai smiled. "Tell me."

"It's nothing." I said after I let go of the garbage bag.

He was silent until we had the third one halfway across the back yard thing.

"It has something to do with me, doesn't it?" Kai said slowly.

I was about to say no, but something made me say yes.

"What is it?" he asked, blocking the entrance to the pub so we could grab the fourth garbage bag.

"The one thing Krella needs to take over Atlanticai is a child!" I blurted out, then covered my hand with my mouth, turning my back to him.

"What does that have to do with me - oh....." Kai mumbled, once he realized what that evil witch wanted.

"Amy's already... she's already pregnant, but I don't know why Krella wants me to...I guess....well..." I looked up into his eyes, turning around.

"Tell me, Kai. Are my parents really...are they really the...the king and queen?"

He looked up into my eyes again. "Well...yes." he said.

Before I could answer, he was crushing his lips to mine, pulling me closer.

At first I was scared, my heart had jumped into my throat and was going a million miles a minute. But then I started kissing him back.

At first it was sweet for a few minutes, us breaking apart every few seconds to catch air leaving me pondering how mermaids breathed but I pushed that though out of my head.

After what felt like a blissful forever I slowly let my toungue out of my mouth and let it touch Kai's lips. He opened without question and slid his own toungue into my mouth where they played with eachother happily.

I couldn't take it anymore. My 16-year-old hormones were acting up and I found myself inching closer to him, close enough to be considered a sexy kiss.

I felt his arm touch my back and he pulled me in even closer, closing the remaining distance between our bodies.

And it stayed like that. My arms wrapped around him and fingers tangled in his hair, his arms wrapped around me and cradling my head in his palms.

~Two Days Later~

My head broke through the water at the surface, gentle waves lapping at my shoulders. Kai's head popped up beside mine.

He turned his eyes to me, making my heart melt as I gazed into his soft brown orbs.

"Stop with this mushy shit!" Krella yelled from behind me.

"Ow!" I covered my ear and turned to her grumpily.

"Island. Now." she said and whistled through her teeth.

A brigade of tiger sharks circled around us and several popped up distanced around the small island with just enough trees to give us some privacy.

I shot forward like a dart, pulling Kai behind me to get away from Krella. I wanted to escape, but the tiger sharks matched our pace and fell behind in the shallows.

I looked back as I flipped over in the warm low water and saw Krella treading water a few meters out.

"Well? Get on with it!" she hissed, ushering us towards the island.

I rolled my eyes and dragged myself up towards the pearly white sand. My hands touched it and, though sand stuck to my palms, it felt nice to have it under my skin; rather than water surrounding me.

I heaved the rest of me, including my tail onto the sand. As soon as the last part of my fin withdrew from the water, I felt happy. Happy to, for just one second, do something without Krella harping on me. I wished I could find the strength winthin me to stand up to her but I was afraid of what might happen to myself and my friends.

I didn't have to wait long before the water evaporated off my tail and changed into my legs.

I stood up, smiling and still in my sundress with bikini underneath. I laughed. That had been a different life, a different world.

Kai was pulling himself out of the water and his legs materialised, revealing swim trunks, his torso still bare.

Krella let out a huge groan from the water and I stood up quickly, Kai following suit.

We walked into the trees solemnly. Kai turned to me, no smile, no laugh.

"Well...I guess it would be better to enjoy it than do it half-heartedly." Kai said quietly.

"I agree." And I grabbed his shoulders, pulling him to me.

He didn't hesitate this time. He pulled me straight towards him and I started breathing faster and faster; so that when we fell to the ground together, I didn't need persuasion to pull my sundress over my head and take it one step further.

The following morning I woke up with a headache. I sat bolt upright in from the floor. When I was two, I remember Mom complaining about headaches when she was pregnant with Jess.

"Oh no." I whispered. "Oh no, no, no, no!" I turned and sat back in the corner, my stomach swimming and head pounding.

If I ever had a child, I didn't want it to be like this! I never wanted them to be raised by Krella, being forced to think ill of her mother and grandparents!

She would be a princess of Atlanticai. How could she not be? I was a mermaid and Kai a merman, she would be a mermaid.

Why was I saying she? I didn't know the gender! Heck, I didn't even know if I was pregnant or not.

I wrapped my hands around my tail and turned to look at Amy. After two weeks of being pregnant, she was starting to show. I didn't know whether or not Krella would let her off work, but she sure had been feeding her way more than the rest of us; even forcing her to eat more after she was full.

This dramatic change had made Amy antsy, and the morning sickness no better. Krella had to let her off work soon. Besides, I don't think Krella would want her working when she was sort of fat... I knew for a fact some guys only came to Krella's pub because of us...

First Draft: May/01/2013

Second Draft: Dec/18/2014

---

Don't forget to comment, vote and follow! <3