3

Jeff paced in the waiting room, waiting for the doctor to tell him Pamela's prognosis. She was like a little sister to him, and he was beyond pissed off that James had not shown up. The doctor entered the waiting room requesting for her family, I walked up to him, asking about her.

"Your wife is very lucky indeed, both her and the baby are doing just fine. She should take care of herself more and stop stressing herself. It will harm her and the babies."
"Can I see her?" he asked.
He quickly walked past the doctor not mentioning that she was not his wife but a friend, fearing he would be refused visitation rights to her.

"Pam, are you alright?" He asked her tenderly.
"I am much better thanks Jeff, if you were not around I would have lost my babies. Thank you Jeff," she said as tears welled up in her eyes.

Her parents and James' parents came in as soon as Jeff left her. She cried in her mothers arms as soon as she saw her.
"I cannot do this mom," she said in a broken voice. "He has not said a word to me in the month we have been married. How hard hearted can one man be?"
"Marriage takes work dear, you have to stay strong. Keep praying for you made vows before the Lord, and you have to keep them."

Jeffs' POV

As soon as I arrived at work I went straight up to James office. To my astonishment the idiot had a smile plastered on his face as he flirted with his, on again, off again, girlfriend.
"Your wife is in hospital and here you are with another woman," I growled walking up to him throwing a punch to his face. "I am disappointed in you man, if you don't change, you can kiss this friendship goodbye. Your arrogant behavior has pushed me to the limit. Just don't come running to me when your life is in a dilapidated state."

"You would dissolve our friendship over a woman," James snarled.
"She is the mother of your unborn child for goodness sake," I spat before I walked out of the office leaving a flabbergasted James staring after me.

Jeff was clever enough to keep his own construction company running, whilst he helped out James's architectural firm. He never wanted to depend on someone to make a living, he wanted to be the type of man who could provide for himself and his family, without any setbacks.

Pamela's POV

After getting discharged James' parents drooped me off home and left. I found Maria still up, she seemed to have aged in the short space of time I had left her, fear and dread of the unknown  where etched on her features. Once I told her I was well her face lit up with a large smile. Fussing like a mother hen she prepared a meal for me to eat and sent me off to bed. Since I wasn't feeling sleepy, I decided to read one of the books I got from Jeff, but before I could finish the first page, I dozed off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of laughter and was surprised to hear James laugh, I had never heard him laugh. His laughter warmed me up, as I got out of bed and headed downstairs to see what was amusing him. Upon entering the kitchen I was shocked to see another woman in the kitchen sitting next to James as they continued with their chit chat. Maria was cooking up a storm, and paid no attention to them, but on seeing me, she quickly told me to sit down and put a plate of bacon and eggs with some toast, and my favorite cup of tea.

To bring another woman into this house was a stab in my heart. The other woman was a bit taller than I and was light in complexion. She was a large bosom and figure eight type of body, one could easily see why my husband was attracted to her. Deciding to let them be, I completely ignored them and ate my breakfast as I wasn't in the mood for any drama this lovely morning. I had to study my opponent for the battle had just begun, it was best I arm myself well, or else I would be the one getting slaughtered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James looked up and saw her enter the kitchen. His heart skipped a beat, seeing her as she had just woken up. She was more beautiful that Gina, her chocolate skin had an alluring glow. Her black eyes, twinkled as she greeted Maria, with a warm smile gracing her plump lips. She walked with such grace as if she was floating on clouds. Just the sound of her voice as she greeted Maria, was enough to make a man go weak at the knees.

Was she doing this on purpose? Why am I even looking at her I thought to myself as Gina's chatter brought me out of my trance, as I gave her a weak smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thomas came into the kitchen to get his morning meal. He and Maria had their own little cottages on the property, so it was easier to reach them if help was needed.
"Good morning Ms Pamela," he said with a wide smile. "Will you be coming to the garden today, so I can get your tools ready?"
"Good morning Thomas, yes. Once I am done with my breakfast I will join you outside."

When I looked towards the kitchen table I saw no one there. Maria saw this and told me the woman's name was Gina, and that she had been James' on and off again girlfriend. I made James morning tea, as I usually did during the weekends, and took it up to his office. I walked in on them sharing a heated kiss, and cleared my throat to make my presence known.
"Here is your tea," I stated cooly and turned to leave them.
"And were is my cup?" Gina asked me.

Turning I gave her a deathly glare. I saw even James shrink back in his chair.
"You have hands don't you? Go make it yourself, you know where the kitchen is," I told her as I walked out his office.
"Come on baby we will share my cup, don't mind that thing. I hate her, she is just ruining my life, our life together," I heard James telling her. Heading toward the kitchen I couldn't help my tears from escaping. I quickly blamed my hormones for the sudden outburst. Helping Thomas in the garden helped me clear my mind, and calmed me down.

---------------------------

Gina moved into the house and was a complete nightmare to live with.
"Hey Martha, bring me some lemonade!" Gina called out to Maria.
Maria was fuming as she placed the pitcher of lemonade on the pool side table.
"Her name is Maria not Martha. How many times do I have to tell you to show her some respect. If I had my way you would be out of this house before you can say "I". And next time get your own damn lemonade, there are no babies here."
Gina simply glared at me and went off to look for James. A few minutes later I saw him coming towards me.

"Who gave you the right to talk to my fiancé," he said gripping my neck. Remember your place here woman, you are just a guest until those things are born and I will be free from your clutches," he said as he shoved me into the swimming pool.
Everything seemed to slow down as I came into contact with the cold water, feeling the air leave my lungs as I sunk into the water. Struggling to stay above the water, hands desperately trying to get ahold of anything that would help me stay afloat only clawed at the water. Suddenly I felt strong hands pulling me out of the water and saw Thomas staring down at me with a worried expression. I gasped for air as Maria came to my side, wrapping towels around my shivering body, as she helped me into the house. As I walked into the house I could still feel the pressure of his vice grip on my neck, knowing very well there would be bruising present.

I couldn't sleep that night, too worried about what I had seen in James eyes, pure anger and hatred for me.

What worried me was that I was slowly starting to fall for him. There was nothing I lacked, since the day I stopped working. I enjoyed it when Maria told me how he praised his meals, not knowing I had prepared them. At least I was doing something right. Or the fact that he never refused the tea I served him.