Chapter 2 - The Familar and Unrecognizable

A couple of hours passed, and daylight began to slowly fade. It was 4:12 p.m. when I finally saw movement below. I began preparing myself for the moment. The evening breeze flowed across my face as I positioned myself behind my rifle. I peered through the scope and located my target's vehicle approaching the site. I made minor adjustments to my scope settings and began slowing down my breathing. I watched through the scope as men in black suits began exiting the vehicle - and then came my target. I placed my finger on the trigger and took a deep breath in.

Suddenly, I noticed a small flash of light, a reflection. Then I remembered the gut feeling I had earlier. I made a quick shift to the right and watched in slow motion as a silver arrow flew inches from my head. Hawkeye.

I had to choose now - complete the mission or retreat. I made one more attempt to eliminate the target. I pulled the trigger, but another arrow grazed my left waist and I only injured my target. This startled all others accompanying him and they took shelter inside the building. Damn it.

I gathered my weapons and ran down the stairs toward the main entrance. I briefly scanned my surroundings and then blended in with the panicked crowd that had engulfed the streets of New York City. Unfortunately, Hawkeye wasn't the only Avenger I had to worry about.

I slightly tilted my head upwards and noticed S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Romanoff on the roof of one of the buildings, scanning for me, while Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man, flew above the crowd using his facial recognition scanner. I ducked into an alley where I had organized for my extraction checkpoint to take place. I ridded myself of the civilian clothing and exposed my black leather jumpsuit that I wore underneath. I approached the vehicle where my hired team, whom I would dispose of later, waited for me. Before I could reach for the doors, however, a whizzing sound caught my attention. I knew it all too well. I lunged away from the SUV and threw myself to the ground. The van exploded and a ringing familiarized my ears once again with its deafening pitch. I shook my head and pushed myself off the ground so I was resting on my elbows. When I looked up, I noticed Hawkeye, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Captain America standing in front of me with their weapons and shields drawn. They were saying something to each other all while maintaining their focus on me. I was unable to hear due to the ringing in my ears, so I concentrated on their lips.

She's just a kid, Nat, said Barton.

A kid who just tried to kill the director of S.H.I.E.L.D, Clint. And she's not much younger than me, replied Romanoff with a firm aggression in her face.

I can't kill her, said Barton as he lowered his bow.

That was enough for me. I turned and ran as fast as I could towards the back of the alley.

"Hey!" shouted Stark from behind me.

I could hear their footsteps gaining on me and Stark's jets growing louder as I approached the brick wall at the end of the alley. I didn't stop. I scaled the wall and kept on running. I made a sharp right turn down another alley and fell against the wall. I was losing a lot of blood from Barton's arrow wound. The pain was excruciating.

Suddenly, Stark landed in front of me, blocking my path. I placed my back against the wall and glared at him as I attempted to straighten myself.

"You know," he said with flat sarcasm, "it's really not a good idea to run from someone who has jet engines attached to their limbs."

I turned my head towards the others as they rounded the corner.

"Stop running," said Rogers as they stopped a few yards away, "it's over."

I glared at them as I backed along the wall. The weight of my steps shot pain through my body to my wound.

"Ahh!" I shouted as I fell to my knees clutching my wound.

My vision began blurring. I attempted to regain my composure and push myself onto my feet with my right leg. The pain was unbearable, however, and I collapsed, this time all the way down. I struggled to lift myself up, at least onto my forearm. You can't go out like this, I told myself. But it was no good. I fell again and lay there exhausted - beaten.

Through the blur, I could see the Avengers' shadows closing in. I mustered enough strength to lift my head and look straight into their eyes. No one spoke. They just looked down on me. The last I saw was Barton's eyes looking into mine with something I had never seen before and did not recognize - compassion.