Chapter one: The beginning

"Hey Clarissa are you coming on the boat tonight for the party," my best friend Stacy asked.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I replied.

"Brad is going to be there," she suggestively wiggled her eyebrows.

My cheeks turned a light shade of pink as I groaned.

"It was one time Stacy," I whined.

Way back in ninth grade I had this huge crush on Brad and Stacy got this smart idea to tell him, note the sarcasm. When he found out he decided to embarrass me by coming up to my locker and flirting with me. I thought he was being completely serious so I flirted back horribly. The whole school laughed at me after he was done messing around with me because he went straight to Veronica afterwards and asked her out. Veronica and me used to be best friends until she  dumped me for the popular crowd because she thought I wasn't pretty enough and the truth was I believed her.

"Sure it was," Stacy emphasized by adding an eye roll and bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Whatever," I told her before turning around to close my notebook.

The bell rang and everyone ran out of the classroom cheering because school was finally over. I walked out after everyone left and went straight to my car to wait for Stacy.
While I was leaning on the hood of my car I sat for a while to enjoy the ocean breeze until someone cleared their throat. I looked up to see his green eyes glinting with humor and his black hair styled perfectly as always.

"What do you want Brad," I tried to sound uninterested but in reality my insides were doing flips. I guess some crushes will always stick with you.

"I just wanted to know if your going to be at the party," he asked in his almost dreamy voice. Well at least I said almost dreamy instead of dreamy so I guess that's a step towards getting over him.

"I guess," I answered.

"Cool I'll see you there then," he looked me over before smirking and walking off.

Why did he look at me like that if he was never interested in me? Did I change? What if he changed his mind?
My brain began to come up with all sorts of crazy scenarios.
Stacy came running towards me a few minutes later with her boyfriend, Zach, right behind her.

"I can't believe we are finally done with our junior year," Stacy breathed bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Only one more year to go," I sarcastically retorted.

"Come on it can't be that bad," she told me.

"I just wanted to move away after the incident, you know," I softly told her and clutched my books closer to myself.

"Awe," she whispered then engulfed me into a hug," it will be ok."

I hugged her back and sniffled, "Thanks for everything Stacy."

"No problem," she said before letting me go, "I was going to ride home with Zach to get ready for the party but if you want I can go with you if your not feeling so well."

"Oh no no I can't do that to you, you need to spend time with Zach," I smiled at the both of them.

"Ok," Stacy said unsure.

After they turned around and began walking away Zach mouthed a thank you towards me.
I sighed and opened my car door to get in. After I threw myself onto the seat I grabbed the steering wheel a few times out of stress. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened not too long ago.
About a year ago my mother had been shredded by the motor on a boat while she was swimming with me. I remember the blades coming so close to my face then my mom quickly shoving me out of the way. After a few minutes of struggling to see straight I looked around myself but I couldn't see her anywhere. All I saw was the boat speeding off with a bloody motor. That was the last time I saw my mother and no body was able to be found in the murky waters so she was proclaimed dead. My father had tried desperately to find the boat that was responsible for my mother's death but it was nearly impossible because it was in a non-boating zone when it ran over her.
I gripped the steering wheel harder than I already was and struggled to keep my breathing steady as I had flashbacks of that night.
After a few minutes of taking deep breaths I was finally able to calm myself enough to start the car and drive home.
When I finally got to my house, I walked in and my dad was nowhere in sight as usual. I decided to write him a note that said I would be out tonight at Stacy's house. I didn't mention the fact that it was actually a party on a boat because he became paranoid of the ocean ever since the incident.
I walked upstairs to my room and began going through clothes for the right outfit. After about ten minutes I finally decided to settle on a white blouse with black shorts and some strappy sandals.
I laid out the outfit on my bed and headed to the shower to scrub off any filth from the day. I finished scrubbing the vanilla conditioner out of my hair when I heard something fall over in my room. I quickly turned the water off and gripped the towel close to my body.
The door creaked when I pushed it open and I internally cringed. I peered into my room but nothing seemed to be out of place so I shrugged the uneasiness out of me.
I slipped into my black bikini and threw the clothes over it. Next I began to work on styling my wavy black hair. By the time it was nine at night, I had finally finished and I took in my appearance.
The lightly applied makeup brought out my blue eyes and was accented my a blue charm necklace. My skin was pale in comparison to my black shorts. I looked back into my eyes and they looked so different from a year ago. Back then they were full of laughter and seemed to twinkle but now all I see is dullness which is exactly how I feel.
I sighed and walked down the stairs towards the back door of the house. I grasped the knob and turned it. When I walked outside the wind blew by my face and I could hear the waves crashing onto shore.
I took one last look at the door and then began walking out to the boardwalk. When I had arrived at the beach there was a huge crowd already beginning to form for the party. Once I got into the mob of people I took a few minutes of wandering around until I spotted Stacy and Zach.
They waved me over and we all huddled in our group.

"Don't you think it is going to be a little dangerous on the waves tonight," I asked Stacy when the sky let out a threatening grumble.

"What's a little rain going to do," she questioned.

"Nothing, but a giant storm could do a lot," I responded.

"Oh come on just live a little," she groaned.

"Fine," I muttered.

I looked out to sea and realized that I was actually going to do it, I was going to go in the ocean. For a whole year I would look out my window and yearn to be back in the ocean. Unlike my father who had grown a fear of the ocean after my mother's death, I had this growing urge to visit it more than ever.

"The boats here," some random person yelled as the rest of the group began cheering.

I cringed at how loud everyone was being and covered my ears. Stacy grabbed my hand and began pulling me onto the boat.
I stood on the top deck with everyone else when the boat began to take off. I talked with some people and started to get bored really fast with the conversations they were making.

Stacy suddenly jumped onto my back when I least expected it and yelled," HAPPY BIRTHDAY."

Many people in the crowd chorused after her and I'm pretty sure that the people on shore could hear them by now.

"Thank you so much," I thanked Stacy with a giant grin on my face.

I was beginning to feel that everyone had forgotten that it was my seventeenth birthday so you could imagine the shocked look I had on my face.
Eventually someone started up the music and many people started to dance. I saw Stacy dancing ridiculously as Zach tried to keep up. I giggled to myself because they were quite the sight. In a way I envied their adorable relationship but I shook all those thoughts aside immediately.
Someone handed me a drink and I took a quick swig of it only to find out it was alcohol. I quickly began choking on it and looked around before dumping the rest of it in the ocean. I turned back towards the crowd and looked for Stacy and Zach again.
Amongst the crowd, instead of finding Stacy, I spotted Veronica and Brad making out. My stomach twisted and I suddenly felt very claustrophobic in the crowd. You would almost be able to hear my heart shatter. I actually thought I still had a chance with him but apparently not. Both of their betrayals came rushing back to me and I felt like and old wound was opening up again.
I clutched my sides and walked out to the back of the boat where there was nobody. I held onto the handrail and looked up at the sky as it began to gently rain. The soft pattering was slowly beginning to calm me down. I could still feel my warm salty tears mixing with the rain droplets on my face. I still didn't know why it hurt so much to see him kissing someone else but apart of me just felt abandoned.
Suddenly the rain was beginning to sting as it pelted downwards. The waves picked up and I could feel the saltwater splashing up the sides of the boat. Lightning was flashing everywhere and my grip on the guardrail was loosening. Everything after that was going in slow motion.
I could hear my heartbeat slowly drowning out any noises when I was thrown into air and everything seemed to be blurring by me. The waves reached out to me and engulfed me into its cold grasp.
I opened my eyes under the water and tried to swim upward towards the surface but every part of me suddenly felt numb. I could make out some figures on the boat pointing frantically towards the water but nobody came in after me. My heart broke even more when I realized they weren't even going to try to save me. When I had finally ran out of breath I let my mouth open as I drifted closer to the sea floor. I counted the bubbles that escaped to the surface while I sank. The water streamed down my throat and I could feel it filling my lungs as the air was leaving. I was panicking by the time I had completely inhaled water but was somehow still alive. When my back hit the ocean floor my vision was beginning to blur and the last thing I remember seeing was a giant green tail.

This is a story I decided to begin writing for Wattpad's mermaid month and I really hope you all enjoy it.
And I am really sorry for not updating my other books during the summer but I've just been trying to get over my writers block and now I have schoolwork so I may write little excerpts every now and then but not full chapters.