Fate Plays a Trick

Amanda was in a nightclub.

At the wrong time, I might add. Her friend Ashleigh invited her to try and "get high" with them. I would have told her to say no -if she told me she was going.

SHOT! SHOT! SHOT! The people were screaming and partying (and not knowing what they're doing). Shot after shot after shot. Good thing Mandy was wise enough to devise a cheating plan.

Whenever it was her turn, she would drink the tequila on the shot glass. Then, acting like she was drinking water, she would spit it out in her tumbler. Whenever the tumbler was almost full, she told them she's going get some more water, but in truth, she throws the contents.

Smart girl.

After an hour, she was the only sober one among them. I keep on thinking that she would have been in a better place now if she was drunk then.

Because she wouldn't have been rational enough to talk to Jake Peterson.

"Hey." said Jake.

Mandy was startled. Well, I hate to tell you this, but Jake does look a bit handsome. Okay. A lot handsome.

"Hi." Mandy said. She was thinking if it was safe to talk to a stranger in a nightclub.

"Don't worry, I'm completely sober. I promise." Jake whispered. (I scoffed at this when Mandy was telling the story)

"O-okay..." Mandy replied nervously.

Jake smirked and thought Mandy didn’t see. Mandy was already suspicious –she was thinking that he might kidnap her. But of course, nothing evil could look this heavenly.

“Might I have the pleasure of knowing your name, little human girl?” Jake said as if he wasn’t a human like her. (I’ll give you a clue: he’s so monstrous that he has the right not to call himself human)

“Amy. My name’s Amy, er, Heathes.” Mandy replied reluctantly.

That’s when Mandy started to feel dizzy. She looked at the glass she was holding –it was almost empty. Had she finished all the vodka? It was full minutes ago –she didn’t remember drinking that much.

“Well, well, my dear Amy Heathes. It seems like you haven’t been entirely honest with me.” Jake accuses. Mandy knew how bad an actress she was. Plus, she was drunk.

Just then, Ashleigh appeared beside her.

“Ooh, I see you picked up a hot one.” Ash says loud enough for Jake to hear. “Introduce me.” She whispers to Mandy.

“Shut up and find your own man, bitch.” Mandy said, shoving Ash away. Jake smiled a cold smile while looking at his drink.

“Feisty one, aren’t you?” he said. Mandy sat down. She was too drunk to stand up straight.

“So, Amy, what’s your real name?” Jake asked, and a piercing pain shot through Mandy’s head. She dropped her glass and massaged her head. Wait… why was there no breaking sound? She opened her eyes just in time to see Jake look away from the ground. The pain intensified.

“Amanda Matthews!” Mandy cried. And the pain stopped.

She heard a soft SNAP! and then she passed out.

Mandy woke up in her room –on the floor, to be exact. She pushed herself up, trying to remember deciding to sleep on the floor. She stood up, facing her mirror.

She had blue and pink hair now. Her face was a mess –mascara and eyeliner all over it. Her eyes looked bloodshot. She smelled like a drunkard. It. Was. Disgusting.

She did what she most needed to do: she took a bath. A long and refreshing bath. She washed the blue and pink dye totally out of her hair. She eliminated the smell of vomit and liquor from her body. She washed herself so thoroughly and after the bath, she was squeaky clean.

She looked into the mirror again. She looked so different now.