Chapter 2: Last Chances

A/N: Before we begin, I must thank my friend Angie for proofreading this chapter for me. On the plus side, this shouldn't have typoes. On the negative side, this won't have funny typoes. Well, since this story will eventually be serious, I guess that's probably a good thing.

Chapter 2: Last Chances

The last day of school always seems to be one of the strangest days in history, or at least that's how most of the students seem to see it. As Sora left his physics class for the last time ever, he felt a strange bit of nostalgia. Then he remembered that he hated the class, so jumped for joy just a little bit. Well, not so much that he attracted too much unwanted attention, he was already pretty good at attracting that without trying.

Right as Sora landed, he saw her out of the corner of his eye. He did a double take, seeing her walk around a corner, and he felt his heart skip a beat. He looked at his watch, and hoped that maybe he'd have enough time to talk to her before they went on to their next class. So he rushed after her. It seemed strange that he'd have these feelings for her considering the only time they really spent much time together was during that school play, he somehow volunteered for, when he thought he signed up for that supernatural studies club. But it all worked out, he really get along with Mallory during that time. And with this being the last day of school, he thought it would be good to talk to her one last time, so that maybe he could make plans with her to hang out over the summer.

He really couldn't believe he was thinking these types of things. Sure, high school was the time for love to be in the air. Or what people claimed was love until mistakes were made, too many drinks were had, and very uncomfortable conversations had to be had. Sora didn't really care about all the drama or the buzz of school dances.

But for some reason, he found himself caring about Mallory.

He rounded the corner after her, and much to his relief they made eye contact. Waving to her, he started walking to her, but right as he got close to say something, his phone started to buzz. He looked down at it, and saw it was a message from Jade.

Of course, she just had to kill the moment. Evil sisters...

'Can't go into school today, three more of the monsters showed up since you left.'

Sora shook his head, knowing that really wasn't something he could blame her for, but while he was looking down at his phone, Mallory had walked away. Thinking about the text, he wondered how long they'd be coming this time. Normally there were only a couple monsters that showed up a week, and this was at least 4 of them today. Well, at least it seemed like they were all in his house, which made it easy to keep things secret, unless someone wondered why there were all those explosions coming from his living room.

'What do you want to be infected today?'

'Last time it was my liver, time before that was ear...how about big toe?'

'One of these days they're going to start asking for doctor's notes, you know that?'

Still, they hadn't been too suspicious so far. Jade was normally a good student, got good grades, and was popular from what he'd heard. She just had these random unexplained sicknesses that forced her to stay home. Sora stepped out of one of the side doors of his high school and dialed Jade's middle school to tell them she wouldn't be coming in today.

...

"Who were you talking to out there?" Phyia asked annoying Sora just a little bit. "Your love interest who had been captured by foreign spies and is now being held for ransom in the volcano below Antarctica?"