Rowan

Chaol couldn't stop the tears when he saw the little bundle of sky blue woollen cloth. He had little tufts of golden blonde hair and those Ashrywer eyes, turquoise lined with gold. Celaena groaned and he was immediately by her side.
"How is he?" Just a whisper. Of course she was tired and didn't want to wake up the sleeping baby.
"Hate to say this but more beautiful than you are." He leaned in and kissed her forehead. He felt her chuckle under him.
"I didn't know that was possible."
He smiled. "What are we going to name him?"
Chaol was not surprised by her immediate response.
"Rowan." With that came tumbling all those memories which he had tried to bury with the past but he knew that running from your past only made you weaker. Celaena was a live example.
He would never forget that blood curdling scream ripped from Celaena's throat when he had seen Rowan's head going down. It was as if he had travelled back in time to that night when Celeana had tried to kill him. He had seen the witch with the red hair and her friends encircle him . He had seen him fighting till his last breath. Seen him struggling to get a hold of the witches but couldn't move from where Chaol was frozen on the ground. Celaena didn't blame him but he still knew that she had hoped he had done something. What happened later, Chaol couldn't recall. He just remembered Celaena's scream and the flash of blonde. She was by the witches in seconds and then just a blinding flash which made Chaol fall to his knees. When he opened his eyes moments later, there was just ash where the witches were. Celaena was on her knees, hugging Rowan to her chest, trying to get one last word out of him. Chaol had rushed to her and tried to comfort her but the look in her eyes broke something in him permanently. The endless sorrow and pain in her eyes could not make him go any nearer to her. He knew she didn't blame him but the still guilt gnawed at his conscience.  It was true that he wasn't fond of the Fae but he knew Rowan had a major part in freeing the kingdom. Later he had come to know a little about the Fae prince but he knew it was just a glimpse of the long, seemingly endless life of the prince. Not only Rowan but a lot of lives were given up so Celaena and Chaol could have this moment. Chaol was not sure if he would ever survive another life being taken in front of him.

Celaena didn't know what to feel. She was overwhelmed. Things had taken a turn after Rowan's death. For better or worse, she didn't know. She had tried to coax one last word from Rowan, but as his body went limp in her arms, she knew he was at peace. At last. They had passed through so much pain and suffering together and to lose him when things were just getting better... He would never be able to see the free Adarlan. He would never breathe again to see her as the queen and not an assassin. He would never see her take the path which she feared the most. He would never fly. The sudden pang of sadness for all the ones she had lost, made her lose her control. A sob wrenched from her and she saw Chaol look up. His face streamed with tears. She would never get the time she deserved with Nehemia, Rowan or Ren. She would never see Ren grow old in the world for which he fought so hard. She cried for all the things, known and unknown to her which would never live in the world they dreamed of. But time for mourning was over. She had to move on. For Rowan. For Chaol. For Terrassen.

Chaol was jerked from the past when he heard the knock at the door. He looked at Celaena and she nodded her head. He opened the door to find himself face to face with Dorian. He blinked at first, not believing his eyes. The war had left Dorian alive if not with a limp in his left foot. Chaol stepped ahead and before the King with the charming and adorable grin could do as much as say hello, embraced him. It felt so good to hold him like this. Solid and alive and free. Chaol's mind flashed back to the time he had lost all hope to get the prince back but he quickly shut down the thoughts. It would be the best to bury the past.
"You are choking me." The muffled protests of the King made Chaol break his embrace. Dorian stepped inside the room and Chaol saw his eyes go wide.

Dorian had never seen anything cuter. The baby was just as beautiful as Celaena, if not more so. He covered the distance between them in a few strides. He took up the baby in his arms after casting a glance at her for permission. He was so tiny and delicate and yet he could hear the strong beat of his heart, of the fae blood in his veins. They were a long way from recovering from all the losses but he knew they would get there somehow. He looked at Celaena and he knew she thought the same.

A/N: Sorry, it's a very short chapter. The next one will be better, I promise!