Chapter 11: Ray Palmer

Stephen:

That Saturday morning, I was looking out the window of my bedroom. It had only been a day that Dad was away, but I had missed him already. Since my mother died, there was hardly a day that Dad wasn't around. Even on his business trips, he usually brought me and Diggle along. On this business trip to Vegas, he explained that he needed me to stay behind because he didn't want me to miss school. I didn't mind it at all, since he was able to convince Aunt Thea to take care of me while he would be away. Aunt Thea is the coolest aunt! Well, she's my only aunt.

I was leaning on the window sill with my elbows, my chin resting on the palms of my sweaty hands, when I saw the Queen family's limousine from afar, passing through the black iron gates that were the entrance to our large estate. I ran out of my room, yelling, "Aunt Thea! They're back!" I darted across the second floor hallway and sped down the huge stairs that led to the foyer. I was still panting when I opened the front door and waited for the limo to stop right in front of me.

As soon as Dad stepped out of the car, I rushed to give him a nice big hug. "Missed you, Dad," I said as I pressed my right cheek against his tummy. "I missed you, too, son," he replied. "Next time we go to Vegas, you're coming with us," he promised, as he ruffled my hair.

"Felicity and Emily aren't with you?" I asked.

"Diggle and I brought them home from the airport. They're tired and needed to rest," Dad replied.

Suddenly, a voice from behind me spoke, "You're back early. Something came up?" It was Aunt Thea.

"Long story," Dad replied. The three of us started to walk back into the foyer and then on to the living room. I turned on the TV but kept the volume low so that my dad and my aunt could talk.

"What happened, Ollie?" my aunt asked. Curiosity was written all over her face. She was seated on the same couch as my dad. She turned to her right side to face my dad as she hugged a throw pillow, waiting for his answer.

Dad sighed as he began to speak. "Of all the companies the QC Board wants me to strike a deal with... it has to be the one owned by Felicity's ex-boyfriend... Emily's father."

"No way..." Aunt Thea said slowly, her eyes wide and her jaw hanging loose in disbelief.

"Yes way."

"And which company is this?"

"Palmer Tech. The one based in Las Vegas," Dad clarified.

"Ray Palmer is Felicity's ex?" Aunt Thea was even more shocked.

"You know him?" Dad asked, surprised at his younger sister's reaction.

"I don't know him like... know him personally. I mean, I've read about him in some magazine article. Pretty impressive stuff... rags to riches kind of story. The guy's a genius. Graduated from MIT and then made a name for himself as an innovator in the field of computer technology. Rose from the ranks in no time, becoming owner and CEO of a company that he rescued from near bankruptcy."

"Looks like you know more about him than I do," my dad remarked.

Aunt Thea giggled. "I found his story interesting. And he's kinda cute, too!"

"I don't think you'd find him interesting and cute once you get to know him up close and personal. I haven't read up on the guy, but if you ask me, I've never met anyone more arrogant and egotistical than Ray Palmer. And after what he's done to Felicity..." Dad's voice trailed off as he shook his head in disdain.

"Ollie, I don't mean to poke my nose into your girlfriend's personal life. And you don't have to tell me if you're not up to it," Aunt Thea said, "but what exactly happened between him and Felicity?"