Austin

- Austin -

"Axel! The principal wants you in his office immediately! He says that your dad is here to talk to you..." Silvia yells as she runs over to the field.

Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this...

"What could this be about?" Nelly asks him.

"I don't know." Axel lies. We both know perfectly that it's about his dad making him quit the team and maybe even about not coming home last night. 

Axel starts heading up to the office.

I shake my head. I have to stop this.

A few minutes later, I ask Mark if I can leave to go to the bathroom. He says yes, but when I get into the school building, I don't head to the bathroom. I head towards the office.

I reach the office and put my ear to the door.

"Axel, I have had enough of this soccer nonsense!" I hear what must be Axel's father's voice.

"But, sir!" 

"Son, Soccer players do not save lives like doctors! In fact, they hurt people!"

"But-"

"Like your sister and... and your mother, who's dead because of this game!" Mr. Blaze's voice is now stone cold.

"I want you to go change out of that stupid uniform as soon as you get out of here and then come home with me." Mr. Blaze tells him.

"But, sir. I can't go live in Germany! I can't leave Julia! Or the team, my friends!" Axel protests.

"It's already settled. You are going to live in Germany." Mr. Blaze says. "Julia can survive without you. You're barely ever home anyway. And your team doesn't matter. Soccer is played with eleven people, not one." He adds.

I can't stand it. That's when I burst in. They both stare at me. I freeze for a second and then I start talking.

"Sir, I am so sorry! It's just that when I heard that Axel was wanted in the office I was worried so I followed him up and couldn't help but overhear your conversation!" I say, still scared.

I see Axel looking at me and I gather up all my courage "I'm sorry sir, but you can't take Axel off the team or send him to Germany!" I say.

"Oh yes I can. I am his father and I can do what I want with him!" Axel's dad tells me, a scary look in his eye.

"Look, I know that soccer has hurt many of your loved ones, but you should know that your son inspires millions of people all over Japan every single day! I was once one of those people! And look where your son has gotten me! I play for Inazuma Japan! The best team in the country!" I say.

Axel's dad is about to say something when I interrupt him. 

"Please, just hear me out. Your son has an incredible talent! A gift! Yes, I know that you want him to be a doctor, he is definitely smart enough, but he is made to be a soccer player!" I say.  "And if this isn't enough to convince you I'll tell you this: your son loves soccer. Have you seen how passionate his is about this sport? How he gives his full potential in every single game?" I ask.

Axel's father stares at us long and hard and then says "If my son really loved soccer, he never would have stopped playing. Not even when his sister had been injured."

I want to cringe, but I can't give up. Not yet. I'll do it for Axel because I really do care. I really do love him. 

"Your son did stop playing..." I say "but he started again. And when he did, didn't you notice that he changed at all? Didn't he seem the least bit happier. Please sir, don't lie to me. You know that Axel loves soccer and that he loves it so much that he can't stop. If he falls down he will get back up on his feet. He'll do it for the game he loves! Because, he does love it. He loves it with all his heart! And you know this, don't lie to me." I say. I stare him right in the eyes. 

"Fine. You know what, fine. You're right. Axel is happier when he plays soccer. I was trying to get him to recreate my life by becoming a doctor. I feel as if soccer ruined my life, but who says it will ruin his. You're right. I can't do this to my son. Or to the sport he loves. You win, young man." Mr. Blaze tells me and then he walks out of the room. 

Uh oh, now Axel's father probably hates me...

I turn to Axel who is staring at me. 

"Austin, I can't believe you had the courage to-" he never finishes his sentence because I suffocate him with a hug. 

He hugs me back. "Thank you Austin, thanks so much." He says as we separate. A tear rolls down his cheek. 

"You didn't have to do that." He tells me.

"Yes, I did." I say.

"Why? Why did you do this for me?" he asks.

"Because..." I smile "Because I love you." I say.

I hope he won't get creeped out or rush out of the room and refuse to talk to me ever again. He doesn't. Instead, he leans in and kisses me. 

I am shocked. I just stand there for a moment and then I kiss him back.

When we break apart he says four words: "I love you too."