The cool kids

"So let me get this straight." Says Rachel as she stares at me in disbelief. "You want to join my posse?" she asks. I've never been a social butterfly, so I understand her shock.

She gives me a once over and sighs dramatically. "Fine." She exclaims and gives me her fake little grin. "You're in." she says. She flicks a strand of her long brunette hair behind her and then continues talking. "But um...I have to ask you a few questions first."

She takes me by the wrist and leads me away from the group. And then she looks me over again, in a condescending demeanor. "How good are you at math?" she asks flatly.

I furrow my brows in confusion but answer anyway. "I'm okay I guess...but..."

She cuts me off. "No buts here...whatever your name is..."

"Hisako" I interject. Having a Japanese name is annoying when I don't know if I am half Japanese or my birth parents just liked the name.

"Yeah whatever." She says clicking her nails together and not paying attention to me in the slightest.

"So here's the thing." She says glancing up at me in a snooty way. "This won't work unless you get a makeover."

"What?" I asked in shock; I don't really want to get a makeover. Plus I don't really think I can afford it; I live in a foster home, and my foster mom is nice and all but we just can't afford stupid stuff like that. .

"Look." She says pointing back to her group a few feet away. "We've got Jesse, and she's the cliché' dumb blond cheerleader."

At the mention of her name she perks up and grins in our direction. "That's me." She says pumping her hands above her head like she is doing some weird cheer.

"And we've got Daimen, the stereotypical hip gangsta." She points to a cool looking kid with a tan complexion intensified by his baggy clothes and blingy necklace. He grins over to us and makes peace signs with his fingers. "Yo!" he calls out and I can't help but laugh.

Rachel rolls her eyes at me and then continues. "We have the mysteriously baddass, emo girl." She points at a girl with short black hair that has purple streaks running through it. She doesn't look up. "Whatever." She says and then goes quiet.

"And Derik and I are your typical punk-rock badass couple." She frowns at me. "Now we need a nerdy bombshell and without a makeover you won't fit the bill."

At this point I don't know what I was even thinking. "Whatever." I say with a roll of my eyes. "You guys are all losers and I'm out." I turn around and walk away. All my thoughts of being popular are crushed, but at least I still have my dignity. Nothing could ever take that away from me, nothing at all.