Mind Reader

"Hello, boys," Crowley purred.

Dean slammed on the brakes and we were all thrown forward. He pulled a gun on Crowley. "I swear to Cas, Crowley, I'm gonna put holes in your meat suit."

"Dean," I pleaded. "Put the guns away. It wasn't his fault I was gone."

"The King of Hell just had you down under for ten hours. Don't even try that 'It wasn't his fault' crap." He glared down the barrel of the gun at Crowley.

Pointing at me, Crowley said, "Listen to the girl. Ember darling, I'd love it if you explained to the boys why they shouldn't kill me."

"Should I tell them the part about the soul?"

"I suppose," he said with a sigh.

"What?" Sam exclaimed. "Ember, did you sell your-"

"No, no, I didn't do anything, promise." My eyes flickered to the demon sitting next to me and I smiled. "It- it was Crowley. He gave up his soul to save my life."

There was silence in the car for a moment. Dean was the first to speak up. "Crowley had a soul?"

"I was being killed," I quickly explained. "It got really close, and it hurt, and then Crowley did this spell, and I fell asleep, and woke up in his room..."

"Why'd you toss your soul?" Dean asked suspiciously.

"To save my precious Little Flame, why else," he responded casually.

"Crowley," Sam asked. "Does this spell have- side effects?"

"Not to her," Crowley assured them. "She's completely healed."

"What about you?" I asked him quietly.

Dean scoffed. "Nobody cares about-"

"Be quiet, Dean, I do." I stared at Crowley, silently begging for an answer.

He spoke to my mind. The side effects are small. I'll feel snippets of whatever pain you went through, but not as intense as you felt them.

"Those aren't small side effects," I whispered. "Crowley, there are plenty of easier ways you could have healed me if you had just waited until I'd died."

Crowley reached up to touch my forehead, and I felt the pain in his words. I couldn't do that. You were suffering.

Dean spoke up, wanting to get a better understanding of what was going on. "So what exactly happened, Ember? Who attacked you?"

I looked at Dean when he spoke, then turned back to the empty seat next to me. Crowley had left with those words. The side effects are small...you were suffering...

I sighed. "Angels, Dean. Angels were trying to kill me."

Right on time, the sound of flapping of invisible feathers filled the Impala. "Ember," Castiel said urgently. "Are you unharmed?"

I stared into his worried blue eyes. "I'm fine. Read my mind."

Castiel hesitated. "Are you sure?"

I'm sure, Castiel, I sent him. Smiling, the angel reached up and touched my forehead. I felt the memories, the pain, all of it pushing out from my head into Castiel's. He drank in for a moment before pulling away, horrified.

"My brothers and sisters...did this to you?"

I nodded. "Yes, and Crowley made a huge sacrifice for me."

Cas grimaced. There must be something in it for him.

Yeah, me alive, I responded sassily. I knew how much they didn't like each other.

Crowley does not do things for the good of others. He is a demon, he is not...nice.

Well what could Crowley possibly benefit from selling his soul and saving me?

Perhaps he intends to use you because of your power. We don't even know if he was telling the truth about the soul.

I can read his mind, Castiel. If he was lying, I'd know.

Castiel sighed and stared at the floor. I'm still unsure about this.

I smiled and tilted his head up. Hey, look at me. It's going to be okay.

The angel smiled with relief. I am glad to have you, Ember.

I winked. I know.

Cas slowly put his arm over my shoulder and leaned in just a touch, looking adorably awkward.

Watcha doing, Cas?

Dean displays this method of affection to females whom he is attracted to. I thought I would try it.

I laughed, snuggling up to Cas. I wrapped my hands around his trenchcoat and pulled my legs into his lap. Alright. Good night, Castiel.

But it is morning.

Just say good night.

Okay. Good night, Ember.

************************************

Two days later, the boys and I were packing up from a poltergeist hunt. Castiel had stuck pretty close to me, watching over me as an angel should. Right now he was looking into the angels that attacked me. I hadn't heard from Crowley since I got back from Hell. He hadn't called, teleported, or even spoken to my mind.

Crowley? I called. No answer. He always answered. Crowley, speak to me.

I decided to take a look in his mind, to see what was up with the silent treatment. I searched until I found it, don't ask me how, then tried to peek in.

Instantly, I regretted it.

Pain shot through me, and I felt like I was getting stabbed. The invisible knife twisted in my gut, and I fell to the ground, groaning in agony.

Sam and Dean rushed over. "Ember! Can you hear us? Are you okay? Ember, come on, get up!" Sam pleaded.

"It must be the angels," Dean growled.

I sat up and clutched my gut. "No... Not the angels." With the boys' help, I stood on shaky feet. "It's...Crowley...he's..." Another jolt of pain shot through me, but I ignored it. I remembered his last words to me, I couldn't do that. You were suffering. Grimacing in pain, I told them, "Crowley's in trouble."