Chapter Six

"You what?!"
"Shut up, Nicole," Brie snapped at her sister the next afternoon hours after they arrived from the airport. "Being so loud."
"And like I said, we're not breaking up," I reassured her.
Nikki shook her head as she flipped through a fashion magazine that was sporting summer outfits and swimsuits. "You need to stop."
"Stop what?" I asked her.
"Avoiding him," Nikki said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"What are you talking about?"
"When he messes up, you shut down on him; you pull away," she explained.
"No I don't," I protested. "Right, Brie?" Brie pretended to be fascinated with her pinkie nail. "Brie?"
She sighed. "You know I love you, Chelsea, but I have to agree with Nikki on this. You do shut down instead of talk it out with him."
I glared at her. She made a heart with her hands and gave me a smile.
"So what do I do?" I asked.
"Go to the room and talk to him," Nikki replied.
"No," Brie argued. "Wait until the end of the week like you said and then talk to him. Maybe time and space is what you guys need right now."
Nikki gave her sister the hairy eyeball but Brie just ignored it.
"Okay, whatever," Nikki said. "How about we go out tonight?"
"On a Wednesday night?" I questioned.
"Yep," Nikki answered excitedly. "Girls get in free between 11 and 12 at this place called Main Event. You in?"
I scratched the back of my neck in thought. "I don't know," I said.
"You have to go," Nikki whined. "You blew off the last Chick Night. Please?"
I puffed out air from my cheeks. "Fine," I caved. "I'll go."
Nikki squealed and jumped on top of me. "This is gonna be so much fun!"
"Yep," I grunted, trying to push her off. "Can't breath."
"Oh." She backed up. "Sorry."
"We're gonna come back here afterwards and have a sleepover. I'm so happy!"
"It's that why you're shaking?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow.
She gave a trembling shrug. "Maybe."

I did Brie's hair during the second half of the Main Event show while Nikki-hair already done in auburn ringlets-picked out our outfits.
"We're gonna look so cute tonight," Nikki stated excitedly.
"Are we trying to impress anyone?" I asked through gritted teeth as I held a bobby pin in between them.
"No," Nikki answered. "But you always have to look your best when going out." She picked up a bag of salt and vinegar chips we bought earlier and read the back of them.
I made a hump at the top of Brie's head and secured it with the bobby pin in my mouth. I ran my fingers through her flat iron straight hair before patting her back for her to get up. She went to grab her outfit laying out on the dining room table before retreating to the bathroom.
Nikki straightened the skirt of her scarlet red off the shoulders number, avoiding my gaze.
"What's wrong?" I asked her as I got up to get my own outfit, touching my bun on the way over.
"Oh, nothing," she said casually. "Just thinking about stuff."
"Like what?" I questioned examining the black dress she picked out that had see through fabric from the collarbone to the waistline, my breasts being the only things covered.
Was she trying to get me a date tonight?
"Nothing important," she replied.
I turned around, studying her face. "Nikki," I said. "You're keeping something from me. Come on, what is it? It can't be bad."
She raised both of her eyebrows at me. "Well-"
"Do I look good in this outfit?" Brie asked, walking out in a white flared skirt, a flowing semi-dark gray crop top and silver strappy heels.
"Hot," Nikki complimented.
"Smoking," I added with a giggle as Nikki sat her down on the bed and rummaged around in her makeup bag.
I grabbed my dress and the matching black peep-toe pumps and padded over to the bathroom. Once I closed the door behind me, I slipped my sweatpants and T-shirt off and slipped the mid-thigh length dress on, straightening it out in certain places. A phone rang on the other side of the door.
"Hello?" Nikki answered. "Well hello, Dean!"
I gasped. "Nikki!" I shrieked, bursting out of the bathroom.
Nikki was holding my phone to her ear, a grin glued to her face.
"Give me my phone, Nikki!" I screamed.
She dropped the eyeshadow compact that was clutched in her other hand on the mattress and dashed into the dining room. "Nikki, I'm not playing!"
She ran to the other side of the table. "Sorry, Dean, Chelsea can't come to the phone right now," she said. "We're getting ready to go out."
I widen my eyes at her. "Why?" I mouthed.
"Where are we going?" Nikki echoed Dean's question. "This place called-"
Forgetting the fact that I was wearing a dress, I hoped up onto the table and snatched the phone from Nikki's grasp.
"Hey!" she shouted.
"Chelsea?" I heard Dean say.
"Sorry, Dean, gotta go, bye," I quickly said before hanging up.
Nikki gaped at me. I returned the look.
"You guys are crazy," Brie muttered.
"Why would you do that?" Nikki asked.
I ignored the question and took my phone into the bathroom with me.
"You're such a child," Nikki called out to me.
"Takes one to know one," I countered before closing the door.
I undid the bun and ran my fingers through my hair as my hair spiraled down my back. I took the hair on top of my head and put it in a ponytail before slipping my shoes on. When I walked back out of the bathroom, Nikki was applying lipstick on Brie's lips.
"Annnd done," Nikki said, snapping the cap back on. "Let's get going."

Main Event was thick with people crowded around a glow in the dark bar. I tried not to think about the possibility of tripping over people's outstretched legs. We emerged into the throng of people, scooting our way towards the bar. A group of guys who couldn't be less than my age spotted us and moved out of the way, giving us a direct path to a bartender.
"Can I buy you a drink?" someone asked.
I turned and saw Henry, one of the groomsmen at Mr. and Mrs. Good's wedding.
"Hey!" I greeted excitedly, giving me a hug.
"Hey," he replied, squeezing me back. "It seems like forever since I've seen you last."
"I know," I agreed. "We should hang out more."
"I'd love that," he said. "Want a drink?"
"Oh, no, you don't have to get me anything," I assured.
"Come on," Henry insisted.
I bit my lip, thinking. "Fine. Just a coke."
Henry had to shout the order at the bartender to be heard above the music blaring from the hidden speakers. "Not much of a drinker?" he questioned me.
I shook my head. "Not a drinker at all."
"Why not?" he asked.
I shrugged. "I'm just not."
"After you finish your coke, I insist you have a real drink."
I scrunched my face up. "Do I have to?" He nodded making me sigh in playful irritation. "Fine."
I looked around, trying to find Nikki and Brie. They were a few feet away, talking animatedly to a pair of guys with Ohio State T-shirts and goatees.
Nikki caught me staring and averted her gaze between me and Henry, raising her eyebrows in question but I just turned away.
"Friends?" Henry asked, looking at the twins.
"Yeah," was all I said.
"Taylor loves them," he stated, referring to her daughter.
"I'll make sure to tell him. Maybe I can send her an autograph," I suggest.
"That'd be great."
"Speaking of Taylor, where is she?" I asked.
"With my mom. I needed a break, you know?"
I nodded. "I know exactly what you mean."
"Your coke, sir," the bartender said, placing the drink on the bar.
Henry gestured for me to grab the drink and I tentatively took it as Henry's phone rang.
"Hello?" he answered. "Taylor?...Hey, what's wrong?...I miss you too...alright, I'll be right there." And he hung up.
"Someone missed their daddy?" I asked, laughing.
He nodded. "I gotta go, but I'm holding you to that drink."
I raised my eyebrows amused as he gave me a goodbye bug and elbowed his way to the door.
"Who was that?" Nikki asked as she and Brie rushed over.
"Just a friend I met at Dean's parents' wedding," I answered casually.
"You guys were being mighty friendly," Nikki commented.
"Oh, shut up," I tell her.
"I'm just saying," she defended. "By the way he was looking at you-"
"We're not having this conversation right now?" I interrupted.
"I don't know about that," Brie said, looking at something over my shoulder both her and Nikki's faces pale.
"What are you guys staring at?" I questioned as I turned to follow their gaze.
Dean's stare was so calm and blank it made me nervous. Everyone moved around him as if afraid that intense gaze would be turned on them if they decided to butt him out of the way.
"What are you doing here?" I squeaked out.
"Nikki texted me the place and thought I should come by and surprise you," Dean answered in monotone. "But I see you were having a lot of fun without me."
"Dean it's not like that," I assured with a sigh, not bothering to remind him that we were giving each other space. "It was-"
"You don't have to explain yourself to me," he interrupted, turning on his heels to leave. Within seconds he disappeared though the crowd.
I shook my head and marched after him, not caring who or what I hit on the way out the door.
"Dean, stop!" I called out, but he kept walking. "Dean, STOP!!"
He obliged and slowly turned around to face me.
"It's not what you think," I said slowly. "It was Henry. We said our hi's, talked for a little bit and then he left, nothing more, nothing less. You honestly think I'd do that to you?"
He just jammed his fists inside his pockets, not responding. I huffed in annoyance, shaking my head. "Bye," I sighed, turning on my heels.
"Chelsea-"
I slammed the door after I walked back inside.
"What happened?" Brie asked.
"Can we go back to the hotel?" I questioned.
The twins exchanged a look before nodding in unison.
"I guess we can," Nikki mumbled.