Chapter Twenty-Four

Damien looked down at the little girl sleeping soundly in the bed. The dog sleeping at her feet was unaware of his presence. Demons were gifted at slipping in and out of places unnoticed. When the entire world hated you it was a very useful talent to have.

The girl whined in her sleep and curled up tighter to the pink blanket in her arms as her hair fell across her face. Damien wondered what she dreamt that frightened her because he could sense her fear.

He was very good at thinking through problems with a logical mind because he did not feel all the emotions that made decision making hard for other creatures. The logical part of his mind told him that making this girl immortal so that her mother could be with her werewolf mate was not his problem. There was no reason for him to include himself and put himself in harms way.

He would not be killed for using the forbidden demon magic... No the penalty would be much higher. Too high of a price to pay just so a mortal and a werewolf would not have to feel pain.

But then there was the part of his mind that forgot about logic when it came to Kaylee. All of his coldness and level headed thinking seemed to vanish when he thought about her. She was hurting because her twin brother was hurting and there was no penalty that was too high to pay in order to take away her sadness.

His decision made, he lowered his hand to the tiny girl's head and closed his eyes. The room filled with a white light so bright and intense it would have caused blindness for any mortal watching but did not disturb the girl beneath his hand. The dog whimpered and jumped from the bed to hide in the shadows beneath it.

Damien felt his own power flowing into the girl as he shared his immortality with her. Not only was she immortal now but she was nearly impossible to kill. Upon coming of age she would have demon strength and be able to learn demon magic. Because his power was white, her soul would be pure. Damien had been born with the typical black aura of demons but after rebelling against certain evils his family tried to enforce on him his power had turned white.

He did not know why that was and he did not take the time to try to figure it out because it did not matter to him. He was only satisfied that nothing in the girl would be evil because of the power used to change her. He pulled his hand away and knew the deed was done. He could sense the change in the girl. She would still be a normal child but all immortals would be able to sense her immortality and the power that she held inside.

***

Vanessa sat up in bed with a start just before Vincent sank his fangs deep into her neck. She took several deep breaths, hoping to calm her heartbeat and wiped the sweat from her face. She realized that Steven must have carried her to bed and she was still wearing her dirty nursing scrubs. She looked at the clock and saw that it was nearly one in the morning.

She stood up, deciding that she at least wanted to change her clothes, when she caught a movement in the corner of the room and saw a man standing there in the shadows. His face was cloaked in the darkness and she let out a startled gasp before grabbing her pistol from the bedside table and firing a shot at his chest.

She watched with a mixture of horror and amazement when the bullet stopped in mid air. It hung there for a moment before falling onto the carpet with a dull thud.

Vanessa held her useless weapon in front of her as the man stepped out of the shadows. She saw his dark blue jeans that hugged his legs and were faded just a bit at the thigh, his crisp white button down shirt unbuttoned slightly to show the dusting of hair on his chest and then his face... Perfect and almost angelic, with light blue eyes and blond hair that had just a bit of curl as it fell around his face.