CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE (draft)

​CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Most of the teens in the class look at me funny after I make that last remark, but I don't care. Technology and Systems Class is over, and I head back to grab dinner, and think about what to do for the rest of the evening.

Briefly I think of Logan, and then of my sister Gracie, and Gordie, and Laronda. Haven't seen any of them for a while. And come to think of it, Blayne Dubois wasn't in Pilot Training either today or yesterday—at least I don't remember seeing him there.

I eat alone at the Officers Meal Hall in Command Deck Two. It occurs to me that I am actively avoiding returning to that Yellow Quadrant Cadet Deck Meal Hall where the hostage situation took place. Honestly, I don't think I can bear seeing that room again. The dead bodies will always stay in my mind's eye.

Meanwhile this room feels safer somehow. I glance around and see familiar Atlantean officers, including Oalla Keigeri and Keruvat Ruo. A few officers even nod at me in passing.

Incidentally, there's no sign of Command Pilot Kassiopei anywhere. I wonder where he is, and if he ever actually eats like a normal human being, since I've never encountered him in this meal hall or any other—at least not since that very first day when he showed me the way here.

I am so alone. . . .

"Gwen Lark."

I look up and see a petite Atlantean girl standing behind me. She is holding a tray with food and has a slightly shy expression on her face. "May I join you?"

"Oh!" I say. "Oh, sure! Please, sit down!" Okay, I didn't expect this. I have no idea who this person is, but I think I've seen her in the meal hall before.

The girl puts down her tray very carefully across the narrow table from me, and takes the bench seat facing me. She is very slender, with a curvy hourglass figure and porcelain-rosy skin. Her features are pixie-like, and her heart-shaped face—framed by short metal-gold hair in a blunt cut—has a charming low-key beauty. She wears a green armband around her slim arm.

"If I may introduce myself, I am Vazara Hotat, and my Assignment is in Brake and Shields," she says in a sweet, highly pitched voice with just a trace of an Atlantean accent. "You don't know me, but Gennio Rukkat asked me to make friends with you—that is, if you don't mind?"

My brows rise, but I am smiling at her. "Of course I don't mind. I could use a friend—and thank you. That was very nice of Gennio, considering that I'm somewhat isolated in my present odd position as CCO Aide who's also an Earth refugee—all my siblings and most of my friends are on other ships. And since I don't live in a dorm or barracks with other people, I seem to miss out on a lot of what's happening."

"Well, I am not an expert on what's happening," she says, picking up her glass of nikkari. "But I think I can help just a little with the basics. For example, have you decided what you are going to wear to the Zero-G Dance? I can help you with your program and show you some of the common fashion trends in Poseidon, and even what they wear at Court—"

"Wow," I say. "Believe it or not, I'm all set in that department."

Vazara raises one very pixie-ish brow. "Oh, really? And Gennio was all worried that you had completely no idea."

I snort. "Gennio is very sweet, and I appreciate his efforts—and yours. But, yes, I'm all set. It's very simple—I am simply wearing my Fleet uniform."

The Atlantean girl's smile disappears, replaced with immediate concern, and she stops eating. "Oh, no!" she says. "But that's not good! Everyone dresses up for the Dance, it's an old tradition. How else would you enjoy yourself when you are up there in perfect weightlessness? Your outfit should be dreamy and gorgeous when you fly with your partner!"