I never once felt fear while in the Luna Mesa. The men left me alone, but I still was at a loss as to why. It wasn't like I was special. There were plenty of women here in Red Canyon, but most of them stayed away from a particular group of men. I don't blame them. Their leader, Mac, was a ruthless man. He would often take women and rape them, and he was known for murders here and there. He made crystal meth in the canyons, but no one was sure which one. It was a shame. Mac was such a handsome man, but with the personality of his, most women ran at the mere mention of his name. 

Not me. I stayed whenever they appeared. I wasn't afraid of him, but sometimes the thought passed in the back of my mind that maybe I should be. Then again, I'm not like the whores that run around flashing their 'services' to ever man with a bit of money. 

Tonight was different. Mac and his group appeared and situated themselves in the corner of the bar that they always occupied. One of Mac's men was getting attention from a slut that needed her nightly fix, and I saw the container of meth waved around, and I turned away, ignoring them. I wasn't into lap dances, nor did I know why women loved to suck dick, but then again, I had never met a man that I felt the desire to do that to. No man had ever treated me nice enough. They all turned out to be abusive freaks. 

I lift the bottle of beer to my lips, taking a long swig as I listen to the faint music being played. I hear the bar door open, and then footsteps. I ignore whoever it was, but then I feel a presence beside me. I look through the corner of my eye and regret it. It's Roman. He's back. Shit. 

"Nice to see you again Mira." 

I ignore him, pretending that I didn't hear him speak. I feel a hand on my arm, and I shake it off, turning my head to glare at him.

"Feisty as always bitch." He grunts, grinning. He slips his hand this time down to my leg, and I jerk away from him.

"Keep your damn hands off of me asshole." I growl, standing from my seat. He touches my leg again and I break my bottle over his head. I know I have the entire mass in the bar watching, but at this point I don't care. "Touch me one more time." He's fallen off of his chair, gripping his head, but I kick him, enjoying the pain that I am inflicting upon him. I don't stop until he's choking on blood. Then I turn around, walking around bar table to the door. But I notice Mac is leaning back in his seat, hands behind his head, a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. He knows I see him, and he nods, licking his lips.

Once outside, I look for my truck. Seeing it, I notice that the tires are slashed, the windshield has been splintered into a million pieces and the cloth interior has been shredded. I left out a frustrated howl, storming back into the bar.

I see Roman standing up, wiping the blood from his mouth. He's glaring at me. "Like the surprise bitch? That's for leaving me." 

I go to swing my fist at his face, but he catches my wrist, twisting my arm behind my back. I let out a cry of pain, biting my lip. Roman bends me forward onto the bar, and I growl as he presses himself against me. I kick up with my leg but he stops me. I grunt, struggling in his arms. "I left for a reason dick!" 

"Why?" 

"You didn't have a damn bone in your body that couldn't get a damn life." I rasp, trying to keep in a moan of pain as I feel my shoulder dislocate. 

"I made us money." He snarls in my ear.

"You made yourself money. Not for us, but for you. You're a greedy bastard!" I cry, turning my head quicker than he could react. I bite into his arm, drawing blood until he knocks me away with the arm that had grabbed my hand. 

I'm sent crashing to the ground. I cry out in pain once more as I land on my dislocated arm. Tears prick in my eyes. I notice Mac is now sitting up straight in his chair and he's watching to see what will happen. I'm not sure if he's enjoying the torture or if he's getting pissed by it. I don't see why he would be getting angry, because after all, from what I've heard, he loves seeing people in pain. Roman snaps me out of my thoughts by lifting me by the hair, dragging me outside screaming and cursing. That's when I see Mac stand up. I am then tossed into the red dirt where I lay. I am cradling my hurt arm, glaring at the man. 

"I supplied for us. I made sure you had clothes on your back, food in your damn belly." He snaps, moving closer to me. I didn't move, just glaring at him. I wasn't going to let him know that I was afraid of him. "But you turned out to be an ungrateful slut." 

He pulls me up, throwing me against my truck. He braces himself against me, and I struggle again when I feel him tugging at my jeans. I cry out, but I'm struck against the face. He slips his hand inside my pants, and I try to get away, but I can't as his hand inches closer to my intimate areas. Then the pressure is gone and I collapse against the truck in relief. I hear a rough yet soothing voice. "How dare you come into our bar, touch our woman, and think you'll get away with it." I turn my head to see Mac. There is a deadly look in his eye that I don't understand, but he's already upon Roman, knocking him about and beating his bloody. I just stand there and watch. I wasn't disturbed, but more relieved that someone had come to my rescue. 

When Roman is nothing but a bloody mess on the desert floor, Mac turns to me. He looks me over, his jaw clenching. "Get your fucking ass home and lock your damn door." He growls, and I nod, moving slowly to the other side of my truck. I slip onto the damaged seats, trying to not sit in a pile of glass. Tonight was supposed to be my one night off, but he had had to show up. Now I was listening to Mac's instructions and going home.