Fine (Barry & Caitlin)

Heyyyy! So, this is my first one shot and my first time writing from Caitlin's POV. (And you hopefully didn't just read that sentence and decide that this is going to be completely horrible. I can assure you, it's not bad. Not TOO bad, at least.)

I was very excited to write this! It takes place AFTER the season one finale, so if you haven't seen that yet, RUN! THERE ARE SPOILERS. THERE. ARE. SPOILERS.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy reading this! Oh, and one more thing. Since I came up with the idea while talking to her, this is dedicated to not_famous_yet2, also known as Madeline!! (^-^) She's a big fan of The Flash and I love talking to her. She's amazing. I mean it. 

Enjoy reading!

Update 29/12/2021: edited typos

~~~~~

Caitlin looked up at the house before her, a small, thoughtful frown on her pale pink lips. It was Joe West's house. She didn't know if the detective was currently home, but that wasn't the reason she was there. She was there to see Barry Allen.

If she was completely honest, Caitlin was a little surprised - and relieved - when she'd heard that he was still living with Joe. After everything that had happened just three weeks ago, his behavior had changed some. He didn't smile as much as he used to, or laugh. He'd put up barriers around himself. They couldn't see them, but everyone knew they were there. She knew he'd done it to keep people away, including his friends, because he didn't want any others to get hurt. It was similar to what she'd done when she'd thought her fiancé, Ronnie, had died. But Caitlin was being stubborn, as was everyone else. They kept telling Barry that none of what had happened was his fault. Eddie Thawne's death, the singularity that had almost destroyed everything... They all knew Barry thought he was the reason it had all happened. He thought he was the catalyst, but he wasn't. The Reverse Flash had been and Caitlin couldn't hate him more for it. But it seemed like no matter what they said, they couldn't get through to Barry. They couldn't get past the walls he'd put up and they couldn't get the fact that none of it had been his fault into his stubborn brain.

At first, one of them would constantly be with him, trying to cheer him up, encourage him to talk, or just be there if he needed a shoulder to cry on. They did that the first week. The second week, Barry would talk more, but never really about 'that day'. He still helped whenever he was needed, either at the police department as a forensic scientist or fighting crime as the Flash. He didn't hang out at S.T.A.R. Labs outside of business - yet another way he was keeping them at a distance.

This was the end week three. They were giving him more space, and had stopped talking about the singularity and the Reverse Flash. They didn't say anything about it and neither did he. Ronnie had visited him once, and she knew that Cisco was probably exploding the poor Barry's message inbox and making his phone bill skyrocket.

But not once had any of them asked the question that was in all of their minds one way or another. What happened when you went back in time? Barry had come back and remembered everything, and they remembered everything, so he hadn't changed the timeline. Which only meant that...his mother was still dead. He'd gone back to the night of her murder to save her, but hadn't. Caitlin couldn't imagine how that was affecting her friend and it only made her even more worried than she already was for him. She had been indirectly prompting him to say something and she knew that Joe was also trying. It wasn't healthy to keep something like that bottled up for very long.

Sighing, Caitlin walked up the porch steps and knocked on the door. She crossed her arms, holding a grey coat close to her while she waited for someone to answer.

A few moments later and Caitlin heard the lock turning, followed by the door opening. Barry looked down at her and opened the door slightly wider when he recognized her. "Hey."