4

Grace

"Hey sweetheart." My dad's voice echoes through the receiver.

"Hi dad." I say, watching Michael kick a soccer ball around with Calum in the backyard.

"Is everything okay over there?"

Nope. There's a really annoying boy who thinks he's all that, and not only did he steal a twix bar from me, he also invaded my private area. "Of course. It'd be better with you here." I say in a singsong voice.

I hear my mother chuckle in the background, as my father says, "We'll be back by Friday."

"Alright. How's the University of Florida?" I ask, just wanting to make small talk. I actually didn't care at all. I had no intentions of going to UF, and didn't even know what Lily was studying there. I've always wanted to leave Florida and go to Seattle. Big difference, big move.

"It's wonderful. I'm sure you'll love it when you graduate this year and go there next year." My mother gushes, taking over the phone.

I roll my eyes. I haven't actually told my parents about my ideas for college. I know they wouldn't approve. It's always been Florida for them. My parents went and met at UF, and they expected me to as well. At one point, I had decided to fail so badly that they wouldn't accept me, but in that case, Washington wouldn't accept me either. "Definitely." I mumble.

"How are Michael and Calum?"

"They're great. They're playing soccer right now."

"Tell them I said hi."

"Mhm."

"Is there a new family in town?"

"I don't know." I lie. "I haven't seen anyone."

"Oh. Ashton's mother called me yesterday night and said he started hanging out with a new boy in town. He's in your year, starting in your school as well. You should say hi, if he's Ashton's friend, he must be a nice boy."

I start to scoff, but stop myself, remembering I was talking to my mother. "Oh, I'm sure he's a great guy. I'll be sure to talk to him." I say nonchalantly.

"What have you been eating these days?"

I laugh lightly. "What kind of question is that? You know I can cook a large enough variety of meals to keep myself satisfied for a week."

"I know, I'm just curious. A lot of pizza and spaghetti?"

I twist a piece of my brown hair around my finger. "Maybe." I say, dragging out the 'e', "But I also ate salad."

My mother laughs loudly. Her laugh always reminded me of Lily's. They laughed exactly the same. Which is why, currently, I hated it whenever my mother laughed.

"Okay. Love you." I say, not wanting the conversation to drag on any longer. Calum just kicked Michael's shin.

"Love you Grace, stay safe."

I hang up the phone and immediately walk over to Michael. "Are you okay?"

"No I'm not." Michael hissed.

I glare at Calum, and run inside to get a band-aid.

It takes me a few minutes to find one; all the boxes I looked in were empty except the one in the very back.

When I come back outside, Michael and Calum are kicking around the soccer ball again.

I squint my eyes, furrowing my eyebrows. "Do you still need this?"

Michael shakes his head. "Nah, I'm good. Let's go visit Ashton."

"But I just ate a twix bar." I say, annoyed that I went inside and got a band-aid for no reason.