#1

For most people, their 16th birthday marks a day of which your almost an adult. You throw a huge party, get drunk, and do stupid stuff that will forever live on the Internet.

But for me, it's just another day. You see birthdays really aren't my thing. Especially when it marks the death of your mother.
Nobody could explain what happened. Some would say that it was due to childbirth, others say that it was a blood clot. Finally they concluded that it was because I was born. As much as I want to feel bad about it, I can't. And I can't say I miss her, because I never knew the woman.

"Are you even listening to me?" Vi's voice snapped me out of my trance. I looked over at her, shaking my head.

"No, sorry I zoned out." Flashing an apologetic smile towards my petite blonde friend. Her face frowned but quickly straightened up. She never stayed mad.

"I said you need to go shopping for the perfect dress. Your dad is throwing a huge party for you and you are acting like its no big deal!" She shot me an exasperated look, her arms flailing about In the air. My gaze drifted to the window, at the blur of houses and white picket fences. The colors blurring until its just a blob of nothing memorable. I wish my birthday could be like that.
"I can't go shopping today... I... Umm gotta go train with Peter." Biting my lip, I looked over at her. Her eyes seemed to burn into my body, making me cringe internally. Finally she sighed and crosses her arms.

"Fine but I'm gonna kill that boy. He's taking you from me, your best friend. But tomorrow we are going shopping."
I couldn't avoid the inevitable shopping spree. Sighing inwardly , I nodded my head as the bus came to the stop. Vi stood up and walked up the isle, narrowly missing the tangle of legs and backpacks. The bus driver has long since gave up on telling them to move out the way.

After a few minutes I arrived at my stop and I made my way down the isle. I put my earbuds in and turned on my iPod. My favorite song started up immediately, Who you are by fifth harmony. Then continued my way to the house. My fathers car was in the driveway, surprisingly. He's usually at work until about two in the morning.

I shrugged and opened the door, only to freeze up at the scene before me. The house had been broken into, however nothing was missing. The drawers opened but the contents untouched. The doors slightly scratched up but nothing out of the ordinary. I grabbed my phone to call the police when my eyes catch on something shiny laying in the middle of my bed with a note laying next to it.

The box had delicate designs, making flowers in the middle and swirling vines running down the sides with thorns, seeming to protect the box from intruders. I was in awe of the intricate box until my eyes laid upon the envelope. My eyes widened and teared up as I read the curling letters on the front:

To: my beloved daughter, Winter
From: your mother.