11. A Favor Repaid (Octavia)

The week dragged on, making it seem like a forever had went by. My warriors eventually returned to camp, after successfully banishing the Exiles to a far away place. My head spun and my whole body ached. I ached for home. I didn't want to be part of the Ice Nation and I sure didn't want to be their leader. I was in a very large tent, made just for the leader. Though the tent was large, it was almost empty. Only a bed, a medium sized rack of weapons, and a small table with two chairs occupied it. I laid on my bed and stared up at the ceiling of the tent. There were small tears and openings in it. I thought about the lush green forests from back home, and the secret caves Lincoln and I used to meet up in. I thought about the Dropship and how it is now abandoned, with only ghosts of the dead Grounders and Delinquents from our first ever battle left to occupy it. I thought about my brother and how he managed to save us all, with the help of Clarke. I thought about my friends, some of who became distant after Mount Weather fell. I wondered if Raven's leg was getting any better. I wondered if Monty and Jasper were mending their broken friendship. I wondered if Clarke was on her way home, back to us, where she belongs, or if she just keeps getting further away as I lay here. Then, my thoughts shift to the Woods Clan. I wondered if Lincoln was safe at Camp Jaha, or if people finally revolted against Kane and Abby for allowing a Grounder to stay with them. Maybe he was exiled from Camp Jaha, too. Maybe he was on the run again. What if his Clan members found him? Would they kill him for being a traitor? How was Indra? Would she ever forgive me for choosing my brother over her? Had she already forgotten that she ever mentored me? I wondered if Nyko was alright. The best friend of a traitor. That certainly didn't make him look good, especially to his own people. And then there was Lexa. Lexa. That name was left ringing in my head. The true traitor. She left her allies to die. All for what? To run away? Real brave. I continued to lose myself in my own thoughts.

      I heard a scuffling noise and looked towards the tent entrance. A figure moved itself inside the tent, almost completely silently. I didn't pay much attention, though, because I was too deep in thought. "Queen Octavia, I have an important message for you," said Echo's voice, breaking me from my thoughts. 

     I turned my head to look at her. I raised my eyebrow, and in a curious voice I asked, "Yes?"

     She stared at me for a long moment before telling me, "Come with me. Try not to let many see you leave camp." She paused before adding, "Hurry." With that, she quickly left the tent.

      I slowly stood up, pressing my hand to my forehead. My head was throbbing and I felt slightly dizzy. I did my best to ignore the increasing headache and exited my tent. My eyes scanned the camp, searching for Echo. I eventually spotted her leaving the camp, but she wasn't going through the main entrance, which surprised me. The small, tunnel entrance was in the far corner of the camp, dug into the ground, used only for emergencies. I hesitated, making sure nobody was watching me, before I quietly made my way over to the the tunnel, slipping through it, unnoticed. The tunnel was narrow, dark, cold, and blocked out all noise from above. It must have had some tiny holes in it, though, because some snowflakes fell from the roof of it. "Echo?" I whispered as loud as I dared. No response.

      I continued walking straight, and that was only one way the tunnel could go. I pressed my fingertips to the cold sides to feel my way through. I was stuck in darkness for a very long time. Eventually, I felt hands grip my shoulder. They pulled me out of the darkness and into the light, slamming me into a snowbank. I blinked in confusion and looked up. What I recognized was Echo standing over me, sword in her hand, with many other smaller weapons hooked to her Grounder gear. I instantly jumped to my feet, the snow unbalancing me, so that I almost fell back onto the ground. Thankfully, Echo reached out and grabbed my arm, steadying me, preventing me from falling. I nodded a quick "thanks" and looked around.