Chapter Ten: Hurting

Brandon's POV

I think we might be outlaws
I think I might be in love
'Cause I'm all out of reasons
Like seasons
Winter, summer, fall
They're all washed up
If you're still way over there
Maybe slide on in
By my side
'Cause I'm just an outlaw
Wanted
If you want me

I played the song on a loop, my phone rested against my chest. I remembered the glow on Callie's face when I first sang it to her. She looked like she'd reached the ultimate level of happiness; like nothing could manipulate that stunning smile so perfectly plastered across her bubbly face. Even then, life wasn't perfect, but it was a sitcom compared to what our lives were now.

"It's a beautiful song,"

Startled, I turned around to find Mom standing in the door frame, her arms crossed. I turned the song off and sat up. I wasn't going to apologize for blowing up at everyone earlier. Not a single ounce of my feelings were regretful or sorrowful.

"You really do love her, huh?" Mom asked as she sat down next to me. She put her hand on my knee in comfort, and smiled at me genuinely. "I'm sorry, Brandon. I'm sorry that I've been having trouble understanding. But I know what it's like to love somebody you can't have. Hey, look at me."

I looked her in the eyes with an expression of stone. When Mom wanted to be sympathetic and warm, she mastered it with charm and perfection. And her soft, angelic voice made it easier to give in to my emotions, but I wouldn't do that this time. I wouldn't let her hit me right in my vulnerability again.

"I know you're hurting," she said. Her eyes pooled over with tears, and she smiled again. "I hate to see you this way. And Callie, she's . . . It's hard to not love her. Everybody in this house knows that. Nobody blames you. You fell in love, and that's okay. And as hard as it is, Brandon, you have to try to fall out. You don't have to look at her as a sister. I'm not asking that of you anymore, okay? I'm just asking that you try to make it easier for every one in the house. Because you love us, too, right? And the sooner you move on, the sooner you can look at Callie and not feel so sad. I just . . . Brandon, I love you both. So much. And I don't want to watch your hearts break when Callie comes home. I want you to be okay again. So if you can't do that for yourself, do it for me and Mama, will you? At least try, B?"

I looked at her, as her words echoed in my mind. I thought about being able to look at Callie, and not feel sadness anymore, just like she said, and that was enough for me. I strived so profusely for that, to finally moved on from the only love that was real enough to kill me.

I looked up at my mother and nodded as a stream of tears fell down my cheeks and sobs broke out of my chest, wavering through me. Mom leaned closer to me and embraced me in her arms.

And I knew, I knew that I was truly broken as soon as I realized her warmth, the presence of her love, was no longer able to fix me.