Blind in revenge

It had been three days, three days since I slept, three days since I left my room, three days since Roger died. I glanced at the clock; it showed three, a.m. perhaps, judging by the darkness. I suddenly got a weird sensation that someone was in my room. I heard footsteps, much muted footsteps. What should I do now? My cell phone is probably somewhere in the house totally discharged, if the thief(s) see that I'm awake, I can get killed. The only way out was the fire -escape outside my bedroom window. I slowly got up. I was opening the window when I heard a feminine voice, "Don't."

I looked in the direction of the voice. A masked woman was standing at the door pointing a gun at me. "Move away from the window," she ordered me, "Sit down on the bed."

I did what she said. She took off her mask and said, "I am not gonna harm you, Betty. I'm a friend of Roger."

"I know all of Roger's friends," I said staring into her raven black eyes.

"You don't know some details of his life," she said handing me a file. It was Roger's file, a file on Roger.

"Was he a..." I couldn't even say it.

"Yes, he was a spy," she nodded, "and so am I."

I couldn't believe it. Spy, my Roger was a spy? She must be lying. I turned the pages of the file. It stated the list of his missions, Turkey, Russia, Australia and many more. The file said that he was in Belgium last month when he was supposed to be gone fishing with his buddies. He was in Italy when he said his Grandma was ill. The two days convention for travel agents was a mission to China.

"I don't believe this. He would have told me."

"He was going to tell you when he proposed," she said in a solemn tone.

"He was gonna propose?" My eyes got moist.

"He asked me to help him pick a ring," she said with a faint smile.

"Why are you here? To get this file?"

She seemed to be in a conflict on whether to tell me or not. Finally she said, "Roger had gotten some intel on a company making chemical bomb for our enemy. He was killed before he could hand us the evidence."

"Killed? He died in an accident."

"We, at the agency, believe that he was killed by the C.E.O. of the company."

"Did you find any evidence against his murderer?" I asked. I would go and kill him personally.

She took a digital camera out of her bag. "I found a clip," she said handing me the camera.

It was a video of two men talking in a board room.

The bald man facing the camera asked, "How long will it take?" The other blond man, whose back was towards the camera, replied, "The qualities that you have asked for will require some more time. Give me some more...," he suddenly stopped and said, "Someone is watching us." "Get him," the bald man shouted and the video ended as the blond man turned and showed his face.

"Charlie...Ayon," I said in shock.

"You know him?" she asked with interest.

"I have to audit one of his branches next week," I said, deciding against telling her my past with a criminal.

"Oh, yes," she said, remembering, "Roger told me that you too work for the government."

"But I don't think I'm going to go to London." Even if everything was fine, I wasn't interested in seeing Charlie again.

"London, that's the place where...,"she murmured.

"You said something?"

"Nothing. I was not supposed to tell you anything."