Ch. 2: Archie

Maxie lightly placed a couple of fingers upon the glass, only to be met with two sapphire orbs which seemed to suddenly burst open. The faun gave a surprised bleat, immediately pulling back his hand upon seeing that the merman was now awake.
It was as if he was never out at all... Now with the water circulating in his gills, the creature swam about in his little confinement, head-over-tail, encircling it as best he could.
After seeing his surroundings, he looked to Maxie, a wide grin spreading across his face. Line after line of sharp teeth shone, something that could rarely be accounted for as a kind greeting.
"Was he bothered at all?" Was all that came to the mind of Maxie as he slowly neared the tank to meet the other. "Hello..." He greeted. "And you are...?"
The semi-shark placed his hands against the glass, smiling still.
"Are! Arr!" He mimicked.
"Arr?" Asked Maxie, recalling a name of a previous acquaintance of his. "Archie?"
This seemed to gladden the Merman, he, wriggling about happily in the small confines of his tank.
"Archie, Hm? Well... It's nice to meet you... Though it would be better if it weren't here of all places..."
The merman only smiled.
Sighing softly, Maxie laid his head back against the metal cage. "At least someone's an optimist."
It was then that the air was filled with a deep, heartfelt, and beautiful song. Every note filled the air. Beautiful, but lamenting. Pulling, yet dangerous--Arceus what /was/ that? And why did it have such an effect?
"Archie?!"
It was, indeed the merman. His siren's song was a way of communication, although it was impossible to tell the exact words he said. So they could speak. Not in the way humans or other land creatures did, but with the voice of the sea. It reminded him of the wailmer that sometimes rested in the shallow waters. They must all communicate in such a way...
The song ended.
"So... That's how you speak... I love it..." He answered, heart still churning with the emotions of his musical communication.
What a mysterious being....