1

It felt cold outside. The wind was picking up as if it had somewhere to be and the chill running down Castiel's sweatshirt was causing him to shiver in place as he continued standing in front of the brick high school building.

The air held this aroma of smoke and perfume as his blue eyes roamed around the joint, Castiel beginning to notice how boys and girls were separated on both halves, completely away from one another as if the students themselves unconsciously created this self inflicted segregation.

It was the middle of November as well as Castiel's first day at this new school and he just couldn't help but sigh strongly, his warm breath visible as it released from his lips into the cold air. He was just standing there, his sister finally catching up to him after she had finally finished applying her makeup in the car.

"Castiel, you couldn't wait up for me?" Anna had spoken, her comment sounding more like a statement than a question.

His eyes remained on the double doors only a few feet away, some students already staring at him and his sister as they began to wonder all about these two fresh new faces. Castiel found that to be rather irritating since he didn't like being the center of attention and rathered they had just minded their own business.

His right hand gripped itself around one of his backpack straps.

"It's not my fault you care about your appearance more than your education." He finally spoke, the disinterest in his eyes most likely as evident as the low temperature. God, he didn't even believe his own words.

"Well I'm sorry if I want to make a good first impression." She responded, her eyes rolling in utter annoyance at her brother's negativity. Anna had always been like that, wanting to impress strangers with her manicured nails and flowy hair that always looked done and clean kept, not one loose strand in sight. Cas never understood her in that aspect. If people didn't like him then they didn't like him and that was really it. It seemed such a tedious task having to entertain others through engagement of conversation. He would much rather talking to just be casual and quick, without all the rush and thought, the other person's words and actions to be genuine and to breeze through like a calming wind. However, Cas hadn't had the pleasure in meeting such a person just yet and he wasn't going to let that bother him either.

"You are forgiven."

"I didn't actually- you know what. Never mind."

He still didn't even glance at her, his eyes just narrowed and his lips in a straight line. It looked as if he had this air of tension and frustration surrounding him and even though he looked completely fine with it, others would find it to look rather suffocating.

"I don't want to be here as much as you do too you know. But we still have to walk in at one point so let's just get this crap over with."

He sighed again, feeling as if that was the only thing someone in his predicament could do at that moment. He couldn't just drive off to god knows where and ditch this place completely. First, he went in his sister's car. Second, his dad would be majorly disappointed in him and Cas didn't like any form of disapproval from that man and third, he needed to finish school no matter the trouble if he wanted to get into Stanford and finally get a job to finally move out and live his life. So even though he would much rather stay home and read the brand new encyclopedia Gabe got him, he had to suck it up and do what had to be done. But then again the group of jocks in the corner seemed to already be eyeing him in an intimidating, scary way and he felt as if he was wearing his right sock inside out.

"Maybe we can just go back to your car and stay there until the end of the day." He suggested, finally glancing down at his sister, a few strands of her hair falling over her eyes as the breeze flowed through them. She pulled them back behind her ear and it looked perfected again as before.