Born-Again Identity

Sam hadn't slept in days. He had gotten hit by a car, and was now in a mental hospital.

Dean went to see if he was okay.

I stayed at Rufus' Cabin, making calls, trying to find anything that would help Sam. "Ness Singer-Winchester. Yeah, Bobby's daughter. I'm looking for some info. If you could, uh, call me back. 785-555-0128. Thanks."

I hung up, sighing, crossing the name off.

~~~~~~

I spoke on the phone sarcastically. "I am so sorry to have bothered you."

I crossed another name off his list, making it eight names that were crossed off.

~~~~~~  

I sighed, on the phone again, again with another dead end. "Yeah. Thanks."

I hung up, crossing out another name, closing the journal, picking up a smaller journal, tossing the smaller journal onto a table, walking to the refrigerator, taking out a can.

The journal fell to the floor.

I walked closer, picking it up. A business card for Mackey's Taxidermy had fallen out. On the back was a cell phone number.

I made the call. "Yeah, hi. Uh... Mackey. This is Ness. I'm, uh, looking for some info. If you could call me back at 785-555-0128. Thanks."

I hung up, sighing.

~~~~~~  

I was doing a search on the laptop, bringing up the 'Amazing Grace Helping Friends' website. My phone rang. I saw it was the number that I had called, Mackey, answering. "This is Ness."

"Mackey. Calling you back. Hey, real sorry about Bobby."

"Yeah, me too."

"Look, what you call about? I might have something for you. There's this guy. He goes by 'Emmanuel.' He kind of roams. First started hearing about him a couple of months back. How he was healing the sick, curing the crazy."

"Uh-huh."

"Naturally, I think something in the milk ain't clean. Find this sucker, punch his clock. Right?"

"Right."

"Heard the best way to get to him is through his wife, Daphne, out in Colorado? So, I go. Tell her I'm going blind. It's true. My right eye's burnt out. She says, 'Go home. He'll come.' So, I go. I set every trap, every test in the book."

"That's what I would have done."

"Emmanuel shows. He passes every one. There ain't nothing weird about this guy. Except... he's the real deal."

"What do you mean?"

"He touched me, and my eye was fixed. Look, I don't believe in much that don't suck your blood. But I wouldn't call you on a maybe."

I nodded to myself.

~~~~~~  

Dean and I walked up the stairs to the front door of the address Mackey gave us.

"You sure this is the house?" Dean asked.