Chapter XVII: Home

Jenny sat on the hard wood floor of her new livingroom unpacking one of the many card-board boxes that surrounded her. It was hard moving, but everything seemed hard nowadays. She pulled out a framed photo of her and her late husband on their wedding day. It almost bring's a tear to her eye but there are no more to be shed.

"Mommy?" she hears suddenly and her eyes shoot up to look at her little girl. She looks just her father. She has milk chocolate-like hair, freckles and big eye. They too big for her face but Jenny supposed she would grow into them like her father had.

"Hey, sweetie," she greets her daughter in a soothing tone. "Why aren't you in bed?"

"There's something in my closet," the girl murmured.

She took a deep breath. Her husband used to be the one that tucked her in. Maybe Sairie was just having trouble. Her father was gone, they had moved from their home town Wichita and most of her things were still packed in cubed of brown cardboard. That was hard for an adult to go through; there was no way this wasn't going to happen.

So when she got upstairs and into her daughter's room, Jenny opened the doors of the closet without fear. Monster weren't real. The boogeyman wasn't going to jump out and eat her eyeballs. They were safe, but Jenny had to indulge her daughter. That was what parents were supposed to do. In fact she remembers her father having to do it for her when she was younger.

She walked into the closet a couple steps, looking around obviously at the empty shelves and racks for cloths. All that was in there was a tower of boxes but the only thing that could do is fall on Sairie. Not very scary.

Jenny turned around with an assuring smile on her face. "See?" she asked her daughter who sat on her bed. "Nothing in there."

"You sure?" the young girl asked.

Jenny nodded. "I'm sure." Then she closed the doors to the closet. "Now come on. Time for bed."

Once Sairie was under the covers, she looked at her mother with a seriousness that a girl her age shouldn't possess. "I don't like this house," she said.

"You're just not used to it yet," Jenny replied easily, giving her daughter another comforting smile. "But you, your brother and me are going to be very happy here. I promise."

One kiss on the forehead later, she told Sairie, "I love you", and she got up to switch off the light.

Jenny was almost out the door when her daughter suddenly blurted out, "The chair."

Jenny sighed. "Okay." Pushing the chair over to the closet, she positioned in underneath the doorknobs of the walk-in closet so that the monsters wouldn't get in. Kicking it to make sure it was in place properly, she looked back at Sairie. "In place to protect," she told her daughter.

Her daughter didn't say anything as she pulled the cover over herself. Jenny nodded half to herself before shutting the door behind her as she left. She sighed. Sigh should be an emotion, she thought as she walked back downstairs. Or at least an adjective. I could describe lots of things as 'sigh'- dishes, dusting, unpacking, bills... She could go on forever in her head but she had to focus on the task at hand.

She began unpacking dishes, unwrapping the old newspaper that protected each glass pot lid from getting damaged. Suddenly a rattling or scuttling noise sounded. She stopped what she was doing, listening for the source before a terrifying thought came to mind. 

"Please don't be rats," she begged heaven above.

*

Walking down creaky steps to the basement, a flashlight shone the way in front of her. She saw a light switch on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. When she finally reached it, she flicked the switch up. Nope. Down and up again. Nope.