Chapter Five

Zayn

The darkness before my eyes blanched, replacing itself by the blur colors that surrounded me. It took me a moment to open them wide in order to find myself lying in the place where I wanted to be the most since the past four years.

I was lying on that very bed besides Rach, who looked ever contended as she slept comfortably in my arms. I didn’t at all want to break this beautiful moment. I had never even imagined that I would be sleeping in this room after all that had happened…between us.

Indeed my Rach had changed a lot, but hadn’t I too? Her eyelids had a smudged line of the black mascara that she had sported and her super-white skin just glowed like never before. Her lips looked a perfect shade of pink, soft and plump, wanting me to lean in and kiss them just right here right now. Only I knew it wouldn’t be right to kiss a girl who wasn’t in a state of understanding feelings at this moment.

So I just stared at the innocent and effortless expression on her charming face as she breathed periodically. It very much reminded me of the past days when we used to practice singing until late nights in this very room, then have a nice round of chit-chatting and finally sleep quite beyond the midnight time. Just like we were sleeping tonight- satisfied and complete.

A small smile crept onto my lips as she gripped my hand more tightly and dug deeper into my chest. I tried my best to comfort her more, WAY more than I had ever comforted even Safaa because I knew what I had done in the past and just the thought of it made me sick in my veins. A lot had changed since the XFactor days, of course.

To be completely honest, I was tired of everything. Four years into this unparalleled fame and I had totally forgotten who I really was. I was no more Zain Javvad Malik, just an ordinary boy from Bradford who absolutely loved painting, drama, hanging out with his best friends, family and basically, doing his own thing. I was, no doubt, a public property now. My life was put on a window display for anyone and everyone to come around and comment on the smallest spots that it had. And the worst part about fame? People always looked for faults. How much ever you try to live up to their expectations, one mistake and you’re gone.

In this blunder of life, I only had one constant. Music. I held onto my job- which was no doubt, the best of all- with all my might because ultimately, this was what Rach always wanted me to do. Earn a name, be famous, make lots of money and gradually, be happy. But now that I had achieved it all, I realized that I had the lost the reason for my success.

I looked at the watch on my wrist to reveal a good 4:30 a.m. Damn, I was up so early and besides, there were no chances that I was going to sleep again, not with the love of my life in my arms.

I sighed deeply realizing that I was here with Pez and she would not like me lie in someone else’s arms at this time. Not that she would execute me or anything because I know that she trusted me and even though it was tough to say it, I had to keep her trust.

I decided to get back to Pez.

Before I would, I instantly realized that if I left Rach here, Walz and Safaa would surely crash me with mountains of questions because I never ever let them enter this room or rather anyone for that matter. This room was only opened for me, whenever I visited Bradford. It was the biggest secret I had kept from my family because… Well, because I had every memory of my childhood in here and obviously I didn’t want it to be another item for window display.

I carefully placed my arms below her motionless, yet perfect body and lifted her. She moved a bit in my arms and once I had lifted her properly, she was comfortable so I started walking towards Walz’ room. Her hands wrapped around my neck as she still kept her face dug into my chest, her breathe continuously sending impulses down my spine and her cute face made it impossible for me to not stare at her. All through the way, my gaze was glues to her face as though it was the last time I was getting to see her.