[10]

The next morning I woke up at 6:00 So I could get ready for school. All the boys woke up at 6:30 unless they had to take a shower then they woke up at 6:15. I made eggs and pancakes. Right as I put the last egg on the plate Darry snuck up behind me and grabbed my waist and lifted me up in the air. "2 days till your birthday girly. Remember no growing up after that." I smiled and handed him a plate. We both started eating. A few minutes later Pony and Soda walked out and started to eat. I got up a little after they sat. I put on a plain white shirt a jean jacket and jeans. I did my hair in a side braid and put a blue head band on. When I walked out all the boys were ready except Pony who was washing his face. I quick sat on the couch and started watching TV with them. Right as Pony sat down Steve walked in the door and said "Come on pretty boy lets get going." Then Darry, Soda, and Steve left for work while Pony and I went to wait for the bus.

Pony went to High school and I went to middle school. I was in seventh grade. Today was May twenty-first. When I got on the bus Pony and I sat together. Darry requested that we did at the begging of the year. I enjoyed sitting with Pony. I didn't trust any one as much as I trusted Pony. Not even Lynn knew some of the secrets that Pony knew. When we got to school he went his way to the high school and I went my way to the Middle school. I met Lynn right near the door the place we always met. I hugged her and she hugged me. "Did your mom tell you?" I asked her. "Tell me what?" I whispered in her ear "I had my period. I stopped by your house to talk to someone. And by someone I mean your mom." She shook her head then said "Do your brothers know?" "It took a while to beat it out of me but they found out. That had to be the worst day of my life. Pony found out first then after awhile Darry got real serious so Pony told him and Soda." "Anything else I missed on my camping trip?" She asked. "Oh yeah! I'm dating Johnny Cade." "What?! I have to stop going on camping trips." We laughed and then went off to out classes.

After school Pony and I both had track. We have track on Mondays and Wednesdays. There is only one track so both schools have to share it. The high schoolers usually pick on some of the middle schoolers. They choose a different person every day. They started out with this one weirder kid who was actually a little more muscular then me. Then they noticed me. "Hey guys look at this little whimp." They said pointing at me they walked over to me and one pushed me. Pony was running so I knew he could not see me. "What's your name little girly?" One of them asked. "Ja.... Ja..... Jane Curtis." "Aw little Jane Curtis." One in the back said. Then I heard someone behind me yell "Hey back off the girl." My eyes were closed from the fear. But I recognized the voice. Then I heard the foot steps and heard them walk in front of me. I opened my eyes and saw Pony. He punched one of them and I quick hopped up and screamed "PONY!" And hugged his neck. "Wait like Curtis. Omg this girls a Curtis there good friends with Dallas Winston. Let's get out of here dudes." They all quick ran. "Hey you quit the race for me." I said. "Yeah couch will understand." He said. I was happy Pony had convinced me to join track. I loved it. Especially having Pony there to protect me.

After track we started walking home. "Hey thanks for quitting the race for me." I said with my hands in my pockets while kicking at the stones. "No problem I at least want to see you live to 18." I giggled a little.

When we reached the house Dally grabbed me by my waist and put me over his shoulder and said "I finally found you a birthday present Janey." Dally was the only one in the gang that called me Janey. Some of us had personal nicknames for each other. Just like how Steve sometimes calls Soda pretty boy. "Aw you didn't need to get me any thing." I said. "Yes I did." he replied. Then he sat me down next to Johnny. He quick held my hand like there was some serial killer behind us. Then while he was watching TV I kissed his cheek and he started to blush. I loved seeing him blush. "So when's the wedding?" Two-Bit said. The whole gang laughed. They kept making smart remarks until I whispered to Johnny "Want to go to my room?" He shook his head and we walked off as I walked through the door of my room I heard Steve yell "Use protection!" Then I heard Darry scream "Steve!" A little after that I heard Soda scream "Don't kill Steve Darry!" But I ignored them I layed down on my bed and said "Hallelujah!" Johnny layed down next to me and said very quietly "You weren't thinking-" but I interrupted him mid-sentence and screamed "No! Hell no!" Then I whispered to him "For two reasons one I'm only twelve two I'm still on my period." He had a relieved look then said "So that's what was wrong with you the other day." I shook my head then we just layed there hand in hand and stared at the ceiling. Eventually he started to play with my hair. I enjoyed just laying there with him. That was one of the reasons I enjoyed being with Johnny I didn't feel like I had to talk. After about 20 minutes I realised the TV was off and the gang was silent. Then I realised my door was cracked open when we walked in I closed it. "The gang is spying on us." I whispered to Johnny he looked up and saw the door. Then he turned around and pointed to the window. They were staring at us threw the window. I got up closed the blind and locked my door. Then I layed back down and said "I can't believe they were spying on us." I then layed back down and he started to play with my hair. "I know Jane I know."  We then layed down but this time we started at each other. After about 10 more minutes I noticed the door was open again. I pointed to the door and he shook his head. Then I went over to the door quick flung it open and there stood the whole gang. I screamed "What is it with you people and spying!" They all put there hands up in surrender. Then I looked at Pony "Give me the paper clip." He handed me the silver paper clip he used to unlock the door. Then I walked out the kitchen and grabbed all the other paper clips. Then went to the bathroom and grabbed all my bobbie pins. Then I locked the door and layed down again next to Johnny. Then in two minutes we were asleep.