Birthday

"Go, darling. I will be just fine," Grace's mother smiled. She was barely able to keep her eyes open. In the last few days, she had grown incredibly sick. Grace didn't worry all that much. She believed her mother would be fine, just as she believed her family would be okay.

"How could you possibly expect me to? I cannot go when you are ill. You need me here," Grace held her mother's hand in support. Despite her mother's condition, she kept a positive outlook on life.

"Oh my lovely Grace," her mother said with a smile. Grace's smile was enough to make her smile. "There is a whole ball downstairs waiting for you. You are the princess of this home. You need to go to your own celebration." There were hundreds of people downstairs, waiting for the arrival of the birthday girl. Grace sighed and looked back at Bertha. Bertha nodded in agreement.

"Yes, mother. I understand," her daughter said sadly. It wouldn't be the same without her mother. She was led to the stairs, where the attention was turned to her.

"I introduce Lady Grace Ulrich," They all clapped and Grace bowed before the audience.In this room were the most powerful men and women of New Orleans. Grace stood tall and kept her head held high just as her mother had taught her. She knew today she was no longer seen as a child by these people. She was a woman from one of the most powerful families in New Orleans. She was a prize to be won. Grace was, in these people's eyes anyways, a trophy to be displayed in their favorite cases.

"Grace," her father came up to her first. "Where have you been? You are late," he said with a gritted smile. She smiled lightly looking over his face. He was a very different man now. She had lost the man she had once looked up to more than anyone. She could see it in his eyes. He was no longer fun spirited and lively. The world had gotten to him just as it had everyone else. Now, he was driven by greed and power.

"I was visiting-" she started but didn't get to finish. She looked down as her father continued.

"I introduce to you Klaus Mikaelson," a man came into view and she bowed before him. It was the man that visited weeks ago. She recognized the name. He must've been of some importance. He was dressed in a top quality suit. He presented himself with his head held high, but just like with everyone else, Grace saw through him. There was something more to this powerful man.

"It's a pleasure," she said looking into the man's eyes. They were a dark blue and they pulled her in. There was something deep and almost disturbing about them. Her father's menacing chuckle was enough to make Grace look away, though. She was unhappy with him. Her father had not visited her mother even once. She didn't know if he was in denial or if he really did not care.

"The feeling is mutual," he smirked and a man came into view from behind him. She recognized him and a smile came over her face. It was the man from the shop. She had seen him around plenty of times, but they had never gotten the chance to really converse.

"Excuse me," she said passing Klaus. He was surprised by her actions. As he watched her walk away he was left in awe. He didn't know how to explain the feeling at the time, but it was almost like they had met before. He was intrigued with her, just as everyone else was.

Grace was approached by many men on the way, but she simply ignored them. Her father looked down upon her actions. He blamed his wife for her doings. At this rate, they would all be shunned from society. He feared Grace would never marry.

"It's Grace, is it not?" One of the many men asked. He eyed her up and down. She was a pretty girl.

"Yes, but I must-" she struggled to pass him, but he did not allow it. She looked up at him with furrowed eyebrows.